Anybody tried these? Any good?

Frank47

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMG_1223.png

A quick "tell" is the years listed. '80 was a change year. Up to '79 uses boots for 38mm carbs. '80 and up the boots fit 34mm carbs. So right off the bat we know the ad's wrong.
Jim’s on the money here.

They make good products
Might cost a bit more but buy it once and your done
Their webpage seems a bit on the rude side but I'm sure they have had plenty of people who have not taken the time to order the right item and then tried to blame it on the company
Plus their manufacturing process is old school cool

Problems with some aftermarket manifolds was the factory metal shroud wouldn't fit over them. The manifolds would split from the weight of the carb. Think this was more due to the air-boxes being removed and relying on the manifolds to take all the weight. I know JBM Industries had the over large problem and also the manifolds splitting............again that splitting could have been due to removing the air-box and its carb support.

Buying from unknown suppliers, there is going to be a risk of their size and if the shrouds will go back on.

Problems with some aftermarket manifolds was the factory metal shroud wouldn't fit over them. The manifolds would split from the weight of the carb. Think this was more due to the air-boxes being removed and relying on the manifolds to take all the weight. I know JBM Industries had the over large problem and also the manifolds splitting............again that splitting could have been due to removing the air-box and its carb support.

Buying from unknown suppliers, there is going to be a risk of their size and if the shrouds will go back on.
No air box on the street tracker so that’s probably big part of the problem. Maybe safety wire the carbs to the frame to remove some of the pressure when I put it back together?

If you use original type manifolds WITH the metal shroud, there should be no splitting issues. I've run pods for many years and never had a manifold split. The metal shroud adds extra, and in this case, needed support.

Thanks Mikey, just sent them at email. Like their leaving the tin can off & letting you use automotive type clamps.
I use the metal shroud's also. You can clean 'em and paint 'em and they'll look just fine. I also use the automotive type clamps on 'em.... stainless. No reason why you can't with the shrouds. And like 5twins says above, they're needed.

No air box on the street tracker so that’s probably big part of the problem. Maybe safety wire the carbs to the frame to remove some of the pressure when I put it back together?
I would try to make some kind of support strap, Bent 90 degrees 10-15 mm from the lower end, so that end could slip under the pod filters hose clamps .

If you use original type manifolds WITH the metal shroud, there should be no splitting issues. I've run pods for many years and never had a manifold split. The metal shroud adds extra, and in this case, needed support.

I use the metal shroud's also. You can clean 'em and paint 'em and they'll look just fine. I also use the automotive type clamps on 'em.... stainless. No reason why you can't with the shrouds. And like 5twins says above, they're needed.
Exactly my point. JBM was mentioned as a source for new manifolds. Been a while since anyone has posted on the JVM manifolds but last I heard was, they are not comparable with the factory shrouds,
(Yes the shrouds are very important), especially when not using an air box.

On the issue of the advertised year of the bike they, (eBay link), fit. A lot of sellers think all specials are the same from 78-83. This does not mean a product will b wrong or not to buy it. Ask a specific question, on what particular carb the manifolds are for, BS34's or BS38's.

The reason many sellers incorrectly list the years for those manifolds is because Yamaha's parts diagrams are wrong, lol. They show the '78 and '79 Special models having BS34 carbs, which we know isn't true.

I would try to make some kind of support strap, Bent 90 degrees 10-15 mm from the lower end, so that end could slip under the pod filters hose clamps .
Good idea. Had already decided on support strap after new manifolds come in. Also need to figure out new air filter for left side.

Back