Anyone got some spare bs38 pilot and main jets?

langheldphoto

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am reaching the end of my build and have officially run completely out of money for this project. I am starting nursing school in a month and just cannot afford to spend $100 on a range of jets to trial and error my carbs.

Looking for a donation from someone with spares laying around.... The bike has high flow intake and essentially free flowing exhaust so whatever jets you guys think would work would be appreciated. As I understand it my 79 special came with the last, and most updated version of the bs38's, correct? So my original mains are 135 and the pilots are 27.5's? From my research I know I need to go up on both by 1-2 sizes.

It should also be said that the bike will only idle as of right now, any attempt at giving it any gas at all and the bike liens out completely.

No one in my area locally even sells jets for mikunis so I cant just buy some and return the ones I dont need.

I know this seems trivial but thats just the way it is :shrug:

Let me know if you can help, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Can't help but to ask: How much "building" did you do before you realized you might need a few jets to actually get it to run right with open exhaust and filters?

If you are out of cash put the air box and stock pipes back on for free, and it should run.

I make them run right before I make them look pretty. Jets can be found for about $3 each so you're looking at more like $25, not $100. Geez, I hope math isn't required for nursing school, lol.

Wow thanks for all the positive support guys!! :wtf: From all the things I have read the jets i need could vary from any number of different sizes. Sooo being that I have to order them, and the cheapest I have found the sets for is between 6.50 and 7, and I would need to get 10 different sizes to be safe and not have the chance of not getting the right ones (i.e Pilots and Mains). With shipping that ends up being about $89-92 so forgive me for not being exact with my figures. :eek: I guess there are always a couple of assholes on every forum that have nothing better to do but bash on other people asking for help. And by the way I can assure you I have done far more "building" to my xs than you good sir. :thumbsup:

But anyways thanks for the positive encouragement.

Last edited:
All that "building" you say you have done is the point of my smart-assed remark, and 5twins comes from the same direction. How much time and money have you spent and still don't have a running bike? :doh: I gave you a useful suggestion of putting the stock stuff back on and it won't cost you a dime. If you can't afford to make it run right, then you can't afford to operate it either, and if your judgement has you "building" before getting the bike to run correctly, then maybe a minor expense in this lesson helps the world a little.:wink2:
To put it in terms of nursing, you have spent all the insurance money cleaning up the blood, and sent the surgeon home, and still have not stopped the bleeding.:banghead:
Never going to understand the order you guys work in.:confused:

Grab a 137 and 140 set from Mikexs ... your at 13$ + a 30 pilot set for another 6.50$, you'll be at 20$... If you think you need to jump 1 or 2 from stock with your setup, you'll be able to set it right with this and faster then waiting for jet donation... so skip a stack of beer this week and you'll be on your bike for next weekend... if it's not right after that... buy an other set or sell the bike and get a bicycle if you can't afford that!!

:twocents:

You can't find a place that works on atv's or dirt bikes in your area? I can't hardly believe that.
Most towns have at least one close by. There are 5 I know of within 30 miles of me.
Leo

Leo, oddly enough I actually live in a "fairly" large town (by MS standards) and there are 9, yes 9, shops that do motorcycle and 4 wheeler repair within a 20 minute drive of me. However, none stock jets :wtf: for mikuni carbs, only keihin... I know silly right?

To all the other guys, I apologize for being rude and I can understand the WTF criticism. The bike does run, it ran before I started working on it, it runs (read: idles) fine just dies when I give it gas. Yes I was looking for a handout, I apologize for my blatant ignorance. As far as putting the original stuff back on.. that isnt an option. 1: The mounting tabs are all gone and 2: It was missing things to begin with.

Hindsight shows that this was probably a silly post, but what the heck it gave you guys something to do right? :laugh:

i'm not familiar with bs38's however it sounds like you might have another issue going on with those carbs. i can't believe that it won't rev up regardless of your pipe/intake mods. have you disassembled the carbs? all the o-rings intact? float levels set properly? mix screws set properly? a lot you can do for free...

Chef: Yeah I've checked everything on em and thought the same thing. Ive adjusted the needle and the idle air screw to the max and still nothing... all the valve lash is set properly, timing isnt an issue, neither is gas or spark (thanks pete :) ) I did all the steps detailed in the how to/ before you do anything videos. So it has to be the jets... Oh well she will just sit until I can scrounge up a little more dough... Ive had it and been working on it off and on for nearly 6-7 months so whats another month or so?

Besides my Specialized gets me much better exercise than this thing does. :thumbsup:

A bike that will idle but won't respond to the throttle is a classic case of the pilot circuit being blocked up.

Pilot circuit includes mixture screw, small passageways in the carb (small holes near the butterflys), and the pilot jet itself. Usually the pilot jet is plugged up.

Read the "Carb guide", in the "Tech" section.

Most of the independent places around me have boxes of used jets from rejetting carbs. Often if you explain your problem they will let you try several sets and only pay for the ones you use. Ask nice and throw them a little business on occassion helps keep things friendly.
Leo

Back