Anyone have need of CNC machining?

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
I've mentioned on here before that in addition to an MC fanatic and avid tinkerer I'm an engineering student. Right now I'm doing summer work for a precision manufacturing company coding CNC for them and I'm thinking about building my own CNC mill (converting a Sieg X3 seems like the best idea right now).

However, I would love to make it pay for itself over the next year or so and maybe even make some money at it! :eek: Since I'm already hopelessly entrenched in the motorcycle and XS650 community anyway I thought that I would start here. Does anyone have need of CAD (I can get around SolidWorks, Inventor, and NX pretty easily) or CNC machining services (I use MasterCAM at work but can't afford it at home, $15k for a single seat:wtf:)? My rates would be reasonable. I think I could do triple trees, rear control sets, various brackets and mounts, maybe 19" rear wheel conversions all pretty easily.

I would run a 'quality, speed, affordable; pick two' kind of an operation.

The seig is a great choice. Look into Bobcad for home use. I got a single seat "hobby use" full version for $600 including the DVD instruction videos.

I would be interested in a top triple clamp. But I wouldn't want to wait several months for you to get your machine up and running...

I would be interested in a top triple clamp. But I wouldn't want to wait several months for you to get your machine up and running...

I'm not looking for specific jobs and orders now, I was just seeing if it was a service people thought they would need before I invest a lot of money in my shiny new toy. Wanted to make sure that everyone wasn't just making their own triple tree clamps or there was a cheap alternative to most of this stuff.

Also, if you have any other suggestions for things that you can imagine people would need that would be helpful. I would try to put together a core group of parts that I would make whenever I had time then do some custom work on the side.

Speaking from experience as one who has done this, yes, there is plenty of work out there to pay for your machine. I spent several years making parts for the Honda VTX. Thousands of dollars worth of product sold. It's all up to you. R&D and product testing for each product line will take up a lot of time, but once it is out of the way, you can optimise you equipment for lights out operation.

I think an alloy fork brace that clamps where the dust seals normally sit would be cool. Bonus points for a design that would accept an aluminum fender under it.

I think an alloy fork brace that clamps where the dust seals normally sit would be cool. Bonus points for a design that would accept an aluminum fender under it.

Hmm, I'll have to pop the dust seals off of my XS and throw something together in SolidWorks for you guys.

This is the kind of stuff I'm most excited to do. Someone sends me an email with some pics and a crazy idea and I get to play around in CAD till I can make it happen. I think I'll start a blog and have an entry for each part I do, that way people can take a look through and send me an email if something jumps out at them.

Last edited:

not so sure about the aluminum fender but a fork brace would be killer ... I saw a NOS brace on fleabay that attached at the dust boot location then the dust boots went back on to the brace ... it sold for about 100 bux IIRC

Strongly suggest you set yourself up as an LLC company before doing this. Either that or protect yourself with an insurance policy in case a part fails. Big companies like LA Choppers do this to protect themselves. A lot of little companies that don't eventually die out because they get sued when a part fails. Think of it this way...a motorcycle part fails and leaves somebody paralyzed...you're basically on the hook for that. partly why new companies often stick with parts that even if they failed wouldn't cause a wreck...gas caps, lic plate mounts, forward control extensions, well researched and designed lowering kits, etc.

Just so ya know (actually I'm sure you do) Omar's sells one, not set up to accept a fender, but mounts on the top of the fork bottom, dust covers go on top. I.ve got one on my tracker and it's pretty cool. Not tryin' to steal your thunder, just sayin' .

forkbrace.jpg

bike007.jpg

Just so ya know (actually I'm sure you do) Omar's sells one, not set up to accept a fender, but mounts on the top of the fork bottom, dust covers go on top. I.ve got one on my tracker and it's pretty cool. Not tryin' to steal your thunder, just sayin'

Haha well that was why I was asking. You guys are a creative bunch though, I'm sure you can find other stuff for me to make.

Capt_Zoom, my father actually set up an LLC last year for a variety of reasons, I might just work through that. Thanks for the tip though, I'll research how far a disclaimer gets me though.

Back