Anyone Having or had this problem Gear ratio

xstwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been riding xs's on and off for over 20 years and just got back into them about 5 years ago built 3 and all have the same problem.I"m always trying to shift into 6th gear. When I first got back into them I remember taking my 77 out riding with bro inlaw and sis. When we got on the highway I thought I was going to blow the motor and my license plate cracked and was hanging by a thread. With a fine tuned xs you really need a sixth gear. Right now I"m running 17/30 which is bearable but no more getting the front end off the ground and the power band becomes a little funky.I'm forty years old and by no means a speed demon on public roads, but with speed limits in some areas set at 65 or 75 it's a pain to keep up with traffic,I try to stay off the thruway et but sometimes it's just hard to avoid. The only thing keeping me from trying an 18 up front is having to remove the guide which leaves your stator wires within dangers reach.Was wondering what you guys where doing and I know mikes has a 5th but I hear it's not worth the trouble.I don't mind tearing it down if there's some way to redo the whole transmission.

I run 17/30 w/520 chain and it seems fine to me. You may have a power issue, timing, jetting, valves adjust - tuning somwhere. Yes a 6 speed would be nice. Most Hondas are 6ers.

I've been running 17/30 or 18/32 with the xsjohn 8:1 compression mod and slight retard. I don't have an interstate around here that would take me where I want to go and really have no desire to go over 70 mph in any flats that I do run, though I'm sure the bike would give more with no problem and no excessive vibes. Power band is good and the lower gears are usefull in town- not just there to wind you up to 5th. I've yet to go over 4 grand on the tach in 5th gear.
I would never go back to stock.

I do the same thing, 6th gear still isn't there! I agree with the pain on the highway, and I'm also running 17/30. Vibes aren't bad, and I have no tach, powers fine,but feels uncomfortable. Might be just that something in the back of my head saying, "you know this bike is 30 years old, right?" I wish I had an answer, but I stick to the under 70 mph roads.

There are some Australians that have built a gear set to replace the stock gears on the clutch and engine. These change the primary gear ratio. After I get the 750 engine built I plan on looking into getting a set of these gears.
From some of what I have read the new primary gears with a 17/36 sprockets run about tha same in the lower gears. But in the upper gears the difference is much greater.
With everything stock 4000 rpm gives you about 60 mph. With the new gears and 17/36 sprockets 4000 rpm is like 80 + mph.
I'm sure I'm not quoting things exactly. Check around for yourself.

HAHA thats hilarious that so many still try to shift to 6th gear praying that one magically appears! I think it will take me quite some time to get used to no 6th. :doh:

I have the same frickin problem:banghead:, When I rebuild my motor my goal is to build a motor that can cruise easy and hang on the highway. Still not sure how the hell I am doing this...750 kit? gearing? and if anyone has more info on the gears xsleo is talking about please post! :thumbsup:

Gentleman jim everything is dialed in perfectly,there's definately nothing wrong.My concern is building a 750 this winter I don't think I can do it with stock gears. Actually john underwood RIP sent me a few primary gears to play around with.

The Yamaha XS650 Club of Australia at www.xs650.org.au/ Talks about the alternate primary gears. On the main page scroll down. At the bottom of the page is a list of things. Click Racers Bits, scroll down about half way down.
The price he quotes is a bit high for a cheap fellow like me. If enough people want them perhaps someone with the right connections can get them produced at a more reasonable prices.

Well, I dont feel so bad, now. Every bike I have ever had, I always try to find one more gear! Then, I look around to see if anyone saw Me looking for another gear.....:doh:

I have a Harley. After riding the 650 around looking for #6, I get on the Harley and ride around in #4.

All of mine have run best with 18 front, 30 rear..They still wheelie & will cruise effortlessly at around 90mph at 5000rpm on half throttle..
Theres no point in running raised gearing on an XS thats still fitted with stock exhausts and air cleaners as theyre too gutless in stock setup, you need to uncork ..At the very least junk the cans with over-complicated baffles , then the headers (which have minimal I.D.) , jet up slightly and then youll find the 18/30 sprocket combination is all you need

Last edited:
I agree. I weigh about the same and run 17/30-520 and it is terrific. I've more than once burried the needle (the 85 mph of the /80's) and it accelerates from a stop just fine. I can redline each gear quickly, smoothly and easily. I believe those that have problems with higher gearing or fear it because there engines are not dialed in properly.

Back