Anyone in the bay area (CA) willing to help me finish this build?

LOWBOY925

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone. So once upon a time I stripped my xs down to the frame, with grand ideas of chopping/bobbing it...ended up not having the funds to do everything I wanted to do..so now I'm just trying to get it back to riding condition...but I'm at the wiring harness and I'm losing steam...it's a fkn rats nest full of shit I don't need.
Is anyone in the bay area, I live in Oakley, that might be able to come check this out and give me a hand getting it done? I'll happily pay someone...motors in, wheels on, wiring 75%...but the rest sucks...
Let me know! Thanks guys!

I know it probably looks hopeless but it's not that complicated. It's easier if you have a clean well lit place to work on it at. Do you have a service manual with a wiring diagram? If not google it or search it here. If you seperate the different systems in your head it gets easier. Charging system, ignition system, and lighting system.
What year is your bike? Is it origional or modified?

I know it probably looks hopeless but it's not that complicated. It's easier if you have a clean well lit place to work on it at. Do you have a service manual with a wiring diagram? If not google it or search it here. If you seperate the different systems in your head it gets easier. Charging system, ignition system, and lighting system.
What year is your bike? Is it origional or modified?
Thanks for responding.
It's a 1980 xs650, I have a well lit garage but the wiring I have is just old and funky. Most of the wiring is hooked up, there's just these damn bullet connectors that all meet up in the headlight shell that I can't figure out. There'll be like two bullet males that have to go into a double female bullet adapter, and I can't figure it out, colors are non existent, they're funky. I'll keep trying, I have plenty of diagrams, but even with my little brain power in motion I can't seem to get the last bit done. Going to hit it in the next hour or two, so I'll check back in after a while

Also, no blinkers, no unnecessary stuff. Just want to run headlight, brake, and ignition/charging. Also, need to figure out how to hook up the little fuse block. I took this apart, but like a dummy, can't remember what goes where. I'll dig into the manual

The worst way for me to dive into a project is to assign a time limit. If you can clean the wires with a rag and some carb cleaner it helps identify them. If not you'll want a continuity tester. Keep a note pad handy and use it. This will take a bit of time but you will know your bike better than anyone else.
About a month ago I rode up in the hills near my house and had supper at a local joint. Also drank a couple beers too, went out to ride home and it was pitch dark out. I put the key in the ignition, turned it on and had nothing! Totally dead, all I had was a pocket knife and cell phone light and a slight buzz, couldn't have been more screwed. Long story short, the main fuse was blown. I found a piece of copper wire, smashed it flat enough to fit in the fuse holder. I turned the key on and waited for the wiring to smoke. It must have been a bad fuse because it got me home. I guess what I'm saying is that it's great to know your bike

Back