Anyone know any XS's in this style?

schpud

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like old swingarm style Triumph bobbers, with a solo seat and pillion for the passenger. It seems like a cool way to go, as I've had a hard time finding a good way to carry a passenger without getting a huge 70's xs seat off ebay, and I personally love these style bikes. I'd still probably run shocks, and not move to struts. But some stuff like this:
55+triumph.jpg

67%2Bchopper.jpg

trump4.jpg

55trump.jpg

17610022.jpg

The cheapest solo seats I've found are at TCBros, but still running a battery I don't know how it would fit. Does anyone know a good way to do a solo seat while still running a battery?

Here's mine. I built this for my son. We used a std bobber solo seat without the springs. I had a couple of extra tank rubbers that I glued on where the springs were. They ride right on the frame rails. They don't interfere with the batt. at all.

Mike in Dayton

Attachments

• Yam2.JPG
    Yam2.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 354
please do not take offense to this, im just in a rotten mood so here goes...

I'll never understand putting struts in place of shocks, in my opinion it looks terrible, absolutely terrible. also in my opinion i think it lacks imagination.

now with that being said, i think a sexy bobbed soft tail looks amazing! i did it with my sportster, and jobagadonitz your bike it bad ass!

so if youre going to bob a bike, or do a single solo seat , put it in a hard tail frame, or bob the fender and strip the bike down and keep the shocks.

UPDATE: i stand corrected with my terms. and i learned something new! thanks jamesgs4!

ive only worked on and built hardtail and swingarm models.

Last edited:
A softtail is that ugly triangle rear suspension doo hickey on big twins. A swingarm rear suspension has a swingarm and shocks. If you are going to build a bike schpud, do it how you want to do it, unless of course you are building it for someone else.

I'll never understand putting struts in place of shocks, in my opinion it looks terrible, absolutely terrible. also in my opinion i think it lacks imagination.

now with that being said, i think a sexy bobbed soft tail looks amazing! i did it with my sportster, and jobagadonitz your bike it bad ass!

so if youre going to bob a bike, or do a single solo seat , put it in a hard tail frame, or bob the fender and strip the bike down and keep the shocks.

I said in the OP I had no intention of putting shocks on it. I've seen plenty of other bikes in this style with shocks, just most of the pics I found in a quick search had struts.

Stuts like that in the 70s were known to crack the swing arms at the pivot points.

Been there, seen that.

If you ever rode a hard tail, you would not ride another.

I dont care how cool it looks. You will piss blood.

my statement wasnt a jab at anyone, it was just my opinion on the struts, the bikes themselves (minus the struts) look cool. i dig em.

Yeah, and some people thought handlebar mustaches stopped bein' cool in the 70's... Now quit bein' a douche.

Stuts like that in the 70s were known to crack the swing arms at the pivot points.

Been there, seen that.

If you ever rode a hard tail, you would not ride another.

I dont care how cool it looks. You will piss blood.

that literally makes absolutely no sense. perhaps YOU'D prefer not to ride a hardtail after riding one, but i can't see how you can make the assumption that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who rides a hardtail rides it and is like, "fuck this, man! i'm gonna go get my swing-arm on!"

and not everyone who rides a hard tail pisses blood - i think you might wanna get your kidney's checked, homie.:shrug:

Honestly, I would consider trying struts if my bike came with stock shocks, but when I bought it it came with pretty nice Progressive's. 11.5 I think. I have a set of lowering blocks too, I just need to get a lift to put them on, as PO removed and shaved the brackets for the rear stand.

Yeah, and some people thought handlebar mustaches stopped bein' cool in the 70's... Now quit bein' a douche.

as i stated it was my opinion on a style of bike, not your bike and not you, you have insulted me, thats being a douche. we can express opinions, but outright insulting is not cool. grow up.

Actually, handlebar moustaches were popular in the late 18, early 1900's...think 'bicycle built for two'. What BiffTirkle is sporting is more like a westernized Fu-Manchu....similar to the late, great Duane Allman. I'll give ya a plus for the 70's but a minus on the style.

The whole hard tail thing seems like such a poser-move to me.

Like buying jeans with pre-made dirty stain wear on the legs, as if to suggest that the wearer had some kind of life that was hard on jeans. As if they actually -did- something that got jeans dirty.

So chopping the ass off a bike and wielding a hardtail up is a poser move? Cooul.

Removing the majority of the bike's suspension? Yeah. That's right up there with removing most of the bike's braking power.

What's the goal? The goal is purely cosmetic, much to the detriment of the bike's handling and comfort.

I'm going to leave off at agreeing to disagree here. I know I'm in the vast minority, but sometimes it chafes me. I'm very much a form follows function sort of guy, and I just hate to see cosmetic and vanity changes take precedence over possible improvements to the bike.

Last edited:
Back