Anyone know the exact measurement of oil to put in an XS

vdubplate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm changing the oil today and I was wondering if I had enough oil. I checked the manual but I didn't see anywhere what the total amount should be. Anyone have this written down anywhere?

Although even if it does I'd treat that as a ballpark value not the "exact amount". Add a bit at a time and let the dipstick tell you when it's in the right range.

Well, assuming you have the right dipstick anyways. I remember there was one with a service bulletin to change the marks on the stick haha

It says Oil 2500cc and I really don't know what the conversion is. I guess I could just google it. Never noticed it was there.

1,000cc is a liter and a liter is slightly more than a quart. Bottom line - you need to buy 3 quarts because 2 isn't going to be enough. And don't expect to get 2500cc or 2.64 quarts in there. Capacities listed in the manual and stamped on the case refer to a new, totally empty motor. You never get all the old oil out when you drain it. So in other words, don't measure out 2500cc and dump it all in, you'll be overfull.

I wouldn't even bother because it will probably be a little different each time you change it. If you don't pull the filters, it will take even less. Just dump in 2 quarts then slowly add from the third, checking with the dipstick after every couple ounces.

The reason Im asking is because my bike leaks oil all the time and a lot. Im trying to figure out where its coming from. But anyway, I keep checking the dipstick and it always seems to measure the same somehow so rather than rely on the dipstick I thought I would just change it out frequently in order to make sure I'm at a good level and thats why I thought I would get a basic idea of the amount I need in there.

Ah yeah, everything is metric on japanese bikes. Your oil leak is probably not due to the oil level I'm sorry to say. That sure would be the easiest to fix but it's more likely to be a leaking seal, washer, or gasket. Once you have your oil level set get the outside of the engine real clean with some degreaser or a strong grease cutting soap. The wind blows the oil all kinds of places, even backwards "up" the direction of the wind, so you have to get all that off then wait and see where the new oil is coming from.

The most common places are under the left side engine cover. There are oils seals around the sprocket shaft, the clutch pushrod, and the shift shaft that can all leak as they age. Sometimes you get oil coming from the copper sealing washers on the underside of the engine too, and up top the valve tappet adjuster covers sometimes leak as well as the seals behind the points and advance housing.

I think you right about the leak in the left side oil cover. My bike is pretty low ot the ground so its hard to see where its coming from. I bought a new gasket for the sump filter and a copper one for the oil bolt. Had a leaky petcock, fixed that. Thought some gas might have been mixing w my oil and thinning it but wasnt that either. I haven;t had the chance to get under that left cover but thats the next place Im going to inspect.

That area does seem to be the most common leaker. It's also a filthy mess in there from chain lube and sand flinging off the chain all over the compartment. Takes a little elbow grease to get it clean enough to see which seal is leaking.

Often the leak from the clutch rod has cleaned off the grease and sand in a path down to the bottom of the engine.

Back