Anyone know the part number for angled UNI-filter for BS38

timbeck

HARDLY A GURU
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for the angled UNI-filter part number for BS-38 carbs. Probably the 4in set. Thanks
tim

Sometimes when i just cant find the answer, i just google image it, find a image of what im looking for, tap the image to go to that page. I did that when i needed a air filter for a xl250.
They are out there
I now have a proper breather box.

You can find the part # here. You'll probably want the UP-4200AST. Then you can probably find them on Amazon .....

https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/clamp-on-air-filters/

The angled version only comes in the dual layer type but you can just remove that outer red sleeve if you like. Then you're left with just the plain black filter.

Excellent, thanks for your help again.
tim

You can find the part # here. You'll probably want the UP-4200AST. Then you can probably find them on Amazon .....

https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/clamp-on-air-filters/

The angled version only comes in the dual layer type but you can just remove that outer red sleeve if you like. Then you're left with just the plain black filter.

5T: if one installed those pod filters on an ‘81 Special with a MAC Performance 2-2 exhaust system - what sort of jetting changes would you suggest?

My buddy has a BS34 equipped '80 model. He has the straight UNI pods and the Commando exhaust. I doubt there's little, if any, difference in how those filters flow compared to the angled version, and I would think the flow of the Commando pipes is very similar to your MAC. He's one up on the pilots (to a #45) and two up on the mains (to a #137.5). His are the U.S. spec carbs with the fixed needles and #135 air jets, neither of which have been changed. The bike runs very well. He's been riding it like this for several years now so I'm sure he would have mentioned any carb glitches by now.

But, you're up in Canada and could have the Canadian spec BS34s (adjustable needle, possibly 130 air jet and main jet). If so then you may not require quite as big a main. I would still up the pilot one but a #135 main might do instead. That would still be 2 up over a stock Canadian spec 130.

Carb jetting for mods is all about experimenting though. It's best to try a couple successive sizes on the mains at least, to see what works best. The one up on the pilots is usually the norm so you probably don't need to experiment past that there. Only in rare cases, on any of the 650 carb sets, does that need more. On the BS34 mains, one up doesn't seem to do much so I would skip that. Get 2 and 3 sizes over stock and experiment with those.

And one more thing I'll mention, you probably don't need the angled version of that filter, just the normal straight version should fit fine behind the side covers. I'm thinking timbeck has some custom stuff going on and needs the angled ones for clearance or something.

Hey 5T , you are right. I have a drop seat frame mod and my electronics box is located under the seat, I ordered the new UNI's and hope they fit.

I have a set of PWK 32mm carbs and the bike came with XS pleated filters. I bought a set of 2-1/4 x 4” Uni foam filters to replace the pleated ones. On my bike, a ‘76 XS650C, the voltage regulator / rectifier is mounted in front of the battery box and the Uni’s will actually be pushed into the fins of the VRR. Does the VRR get hot enough yo melt the foam of the filter? If this isn’t the stock location of the VRR, where does it normally mount? Thanks

Right side view.
41972A7B-56BE-4BAF-AE4C-8853199257F9.jpeg
73620B3B-E450-491D-8B17-434997AA4230.jpeg

Normally, a '76 model would have a separate regulator and a separate rectifier. The regulator was mounted on the left side of the battery box and the rectifier was mounted on it's bottom. I suggest moving your new combined unit to one of those spots.

Thx. I’ll have a look in the morning for relocation options. Is the combined unit from a newer model and would it be considered an improvement to the original set up?

The combined unit could be from a later model but the brush wiring should have been changed to use it. Or, it could be an aftermarket unit made to work with your early type charging circuit, they are available. Whether it's an improvement or not would depend on what it is. If it's a cheap Chinese aftermarket unit then maybe not.

Last edited:
Oh you mean all that extra plumbing? The p.o. thought that rather than put a filter on the end of the crankcase breather, he tried to make a small catch can. It does collect some liquid and although I have ridden the bike a lot yet, I haven’t had to empty it nor does it spill or spray out. The other hose goes to a filter but the filter and catch can are connected by a T fitting.

Back