anyone made a carb to airbox rubber joint

spitfire

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi,

decided to replace the carb to airbox rubber joints as they look shot and i was wondering if they may be the cause of the bike running unevenly. ie maybe air is getting in and unbalancing the system.

but i just priced them up at £25 a pair and think thats a bit steep for rubber seals and was wondering if anyone has made them, maybe out of a small section of rubber inner tube.

any thoughts ?

Airbox boots need to be resistant to fuel vapors, stout enough to give the carbs a bit of back support, and flexible enough to let the carbs push back for removal and installation. You might look at flanges from salvage pod filters and that sort of thing as a materials source rather than old inner tubes. I have no idea how you'd go about reducing the radius smoothly to fit the airbox outlet to the carburetor intake bell.

Have a good read up on the problems encountered with pod air filters before thinking about abandoning your original set up spitfire
1) cheap pod air filters dont work K&N are best
2) you will spend a long time playing with your carb jetting after fitting pods
3) your carbs are no longer supported & can cause extra strain on your carb holders
4) pod filters dont like the cold or the rain
I have pod filters on mine & have spent many a happy hour & money getting them to work :banghead: Look nice tho :laugh:

Ive been using RamAir foam pods for years now, better than K&Ns in my opinion, lightweight, waterproof and less airlow than mesh-type - somewhere inbetween stock and freeflow types

Attachments

• My RamAirs.jpg
    My RamAirs.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 141
Might give them ago myself, no probs in cold & rain? I use mine all year round in rainy Blighty

These are the only aftermarket filters Ive managed to get standard 38mm CV's to operate with :thumbsup:

hi,

decided to replace the carb to airbox rubber joints as they look shot and i was wondering if they may be the cause of the bike running unevenly. ie maybe air is getting in and unbalancing the system.

The upstream side of the carb is way less important to seal totally than the downstream side (ie: carb -> engine holders) and is *probably* the last thing you want to look at. Float height, blocked jets, carb sync - all the other things should be checked first, IMHO.

Back