Anyone purchased crappy gaskets from mikesxs?

dekline34

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just got my engine put back together, the sump filter gasket and crank/cylinder jug gasket started leaking after I took it for a ride. Has anyone else had problems with mikexs gaskets? Is there a quick fix to this so I don't have pull the engine back out of the frame and start over?

I ordered my gaskets from mikes. I put ThreeBond on all the seals. Some more so then others. Haven't seen a leak yet, and hope not to.

0000_Three_Bond_Liquid_Gasket_--.jpg

yeah, what he said. especially the sump plate. it always has oil on top of it looking to escape. mine leaks, but its a stripped bolt problem. someday I'll fix it.

I have used gaskets from mikesxs for many years now and have never had a issue.
Having said that, I am fanatical about the preperation of the mating surfaces to the point I don't,except for a couple of locations,use any sealer or silicone.
I even have re-used my oil filter and sump filter gaskets many times over with no issues.
That lower cylinder base gasket leak is a bummer for sure.
You may want to re-torque all your cylinder head bolts just for re-assurance,as well as re-torque the sump plate.

You should not use any sealant for the sump gasket or the jugs gasket. Surface prep is very important............must be completely clean.

Use caution with the sump gasket bolts..............7 ft-lbs maximum.

Yes, you could check the torque on the head studs. Actually as part of a re-build, you should be re-checking the torques. Re-check at first day after running...............re-check at about 170 kms................re-check again after another 170 kms.............lastly check again after another 170 kms. 30 ft-lbs should be used for the 8 large acorn nuts, and 14 ft-lbs for the 4 smaller on the head a well as the 2 under the spark plugs .

Just to be contrary I do use sealant on the base .
http://www.hylomarsealant.com/index.html
I have also used yamabond in it's various guises for the cyl head cover and a few other metal to metal fits like the crankcase halves . for general use however it is red aviation hi-tack unless it's Gasgacinch .
for areas where I need repeated access I use spray stencil adhesive available from a craft store . I currently have a clutch cover gasket that has been used many times over the past few years and still refuses to leak . The stencil adhesive is akin to spray on post-it goo and works well .
Has anyone noticed that not once did I mention silicone based sealants ? (yes I know , the three-bond/yamabond clones are essentially silicone "based" but have a unique chemistry wit a proven track record)
YMMV

~kop

On the 4-wheeler forums they debate Threebond 1194 vs. Permatex Motoseal 1, which sounds like similar stuff, with a longer working time. It might be an easier to buy alternative.

You should not use any sealant for the sump gasket or the jugs gasket. Surface prep is very important............must be completely clean.

Use caution with the sump gasket bolts..............7 ft-lbs maximum.

Yes, you could check the torque on the head studs. Actually as part of a re-build, you should be re-checking the torques. Re-check at first day after running...............re-check at about 170 kms................re-check again after another 170 kms.............lastly check again after another 170 kms. 30 ft-lbs should be used for the 8 large acorn nuts, and 14 ft-lbs for the 4 smaller on the head a well as the 2 under the spark plugs .
yeah but you have to go clear up to Canada or down to Mexico to do Kilometrics:D we's a'nit got none of them here in the states

Last edited:
Hey Jayel,
I'll save everyone a road trip to "Great White North" :)

1 kilometer = .0621 miles so 170 kilometers = 105.6 miles

Don't worry RG, I got your back, my Canadian Brother!!!! :wink2:

I just used there gaskets too but i use sealer on everything. These are 20 plus year old bikes unless you deck everything just using the gaskets is not 100% of no leak. Do it right once not twice. There are a lot of good sealers out there.

Thanks for the support Skip:)

Yeah jayel, we used to have miles in Canada back before the 70's, but all the cold weather shrunk the mile until they are only the smaller kilometer now. No worries, if any americans want to see a real kilometer, I can ship one down to you.................but you pay postage..............yes the package is rather large, about 0.621 miles:laugh:

Last edited:
I just recently used them, no leak yet but really haven't put it to the test besides the motor Jig to test. I also used Hondabond 4, Its the same stuff I use on the dirt bikes. It has worked great for me in the past, Its not all that cheap though but i haven't got a new tube for awhile now but i am about due. I admit though i get pretty fussy with gaskets so i make damn sure the gasket seats are cleaned and prepped to perfection.

Put all new gaskets on mine no issues except sump filter. little gasket sealer no probs now I think the sump filter gasket is a hit an miss on some bikes I cleaned mine real good and still had issues permatex copper sealant is what I used only on the sump filter and yamabond on the head gasket per 5twins suggestion and of course the rocker box but no sealant on any other gaskets

+1 on the Hylomar ... RG don't know if the ups/fedex truck could get turned around in my driveway if it's that long ... 105 point friggin' 6 miles? yeah like I got time to watch the 10ths on the speedo :doh:

Last edited:
+3 on Hylomar if it absolutely positively can't leak. Like Yamabond for the TX750 It was "invented" by Rolls Royce to "fix" a leaky jet turbine engine design.

Back