Anyone put a standard tank on a special?

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought a standard tank from mikes cause it didn't have spaces for emblems and it was new. So I get the right side petcock welded up and put it on. The thing is that the petcock is hitting the top of my carb on the left side. The standard tanks have a bump where the petcock goes. The special tanks slope up to give more space. What do I do? Any ideas? I thought about cutting the seat mount so the tank would have more space but there's gotta be an easier way...

Posted via Mobile

the yamaha Special and Standard tanks interchange no problem, why did you need to weld a petcock in? mikes tank says it fits 74-84, never heard of any problem before, what kind of petcock? mikes has petcocks that fit

Last edited:
I think I remember putting a Standard tank on my Special and the petcocks hit the stock side covers. However, on my other bike with modified side covers a Standard tank fits no problem and looks SEXY.

I'm only running 1 petcock so I had the other petcock hole welded. Maybe it's just my petcock? I'll put a picture up in a few mins. The petcock looks like someone used jb weld on it. Not sure why though...

Posted via Mobile

Back