Anyone use a dual output coil?

pwizl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar dual output coil? Seems like it would fit the bill and also save a little space.

dualcoil_zps43653708.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRONIC-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bc996bae&vxp=mtr

If your bike is earlier than an 80 with points and 2 coils the mounting holes will be to close together for that coil. You'l need to make up a bracket to take the coil.

The TCI bikes had a wider spacing between mounting bolts so need little or no alterations.

I found that coil to be good value for the money, and if Pamcopete recommends it for his ignitions then no other advice is needed, imo

That coil is the same as MikesXS 17-6822, I believe, and I have used that coil for a summer riding in my '81/H and it is a good reliable coil for everyday riding. The 4.2 Ohm primary means that you will not get the same "Flame Thrower" spark that you would with the 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil at 2.5 Ohms, but it runs cooler so whatever its output is will remain constant as the temperature goes up. The built in wires are a plus and minus because I don't think you can replace them, but they are included in the price.

Here is an image of MikesXS 17-6822 ($39.95)

17-6822.jpg

Thank you everyone for the input, I know I'll always get the answers I need from this forum.

I'm not too concerned with the original mounting location and holes, I was more looking for a one piece unit at a good price that I can mount where I want when I start on the wiring, and I'll be using a PAMCO ignition so if it works for Pete, it works for me

Thanks again!

Back