Anyone who's swapped to Sportbike front end please chime in

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys so I've got an 81' xs That's been sitting collecting dust while I built my bobber. Now that the winter's hit and the bobber is nearly complete i'm thinking of doing a cafe build on the 81'.

I'm wondering for those of you that have done it, how difficult and how expensive is it to swap an r6 or r1 front end onto the xs? I'm a machinist so i'm not too concerned about that aspect of it. But what All did you replace and machine when you did it?

Next question is in regards to the wheel and axle. Do stock spokes swap directly on or will I need a new rim and axle to make it work?

Thanks

I have fitted a complete front end off an FZR600R which required a bit of modding to the headstock, but have kept the FZR wheel, discs and calipers for simplicity and (hopefully) improved weight/performance.

I have fitted a complete front end off an FZR600R which required a bit of modding to the headstock, but have kept the FZR wheel, discs and calipers for simplicity and (hopefully) improved weight/performance.

How much did it cost ya to do?

These are Uk prices: the complete front end with wheel etc was £150; new tapered steering bearings (xs size fits fzr stem) for £30. New braided stainless brake lines (including rear) for £80.
The mod I did was to locate the lower bearing cup lower in the xs headstock (by 7mm) from standard. The problem is that while the machined surface of the original bearing location in the headstock is 48mm (correct for the bearing cup O.D.), and the fzr stem is a bit longer than the xs (by 10mm, although some of this can be taken up in the main thread at the top of the stem), the ideal location for the xs lower bearing fitted to the fzr stem (7mm lower) is 49mm I.D. I hope you're following this, it sounds complicated reading it back!
So, I used two 0.5mm feeler gauge blades, cut to length, as shims for the bearing cup and had a 7mm collar (48mm O.D.) machined up by a friend to act as a spacer and sit in the original cup location.
He is a good friend and didn't charge me for the spacer!

I've got one on the go. It's not finished yet and I have the early frame with a different length headstock so my bearing and washer sizes there aren't going to help you. I used a stock XS front hub and replaced the bearings to fit the larger axle on the R6 front end + new spacers to suit. Haven't tackled the brakes yet.

I've got one on the go. It's not finished yet and I have the early frame with a different length headstock so my bearing and washer sizes there aren't going to help you. I used a stock XS front hub and replaced the bearings to fit the larger axle on the R6 front end + new spacers to suit. Haven't tackled the brakes yet.

I think you should consider new triple clamps as the offset of the sportbike triple clamps is far less than the stock XS. Your rake and trail will be affected dramatically and may be a dangerous combo.

The reduced offset on the sport bike clamps results in more trail than stock so if anything that should make the handling too "stable" (ie. slow, heavy) which is better than twitchy/wobbly but still, you don't want to be in either situation. I kept the geometry in mind when I was looking for one and went with an 01 R6 that had more offset than your typical later model sport bike. With the front now a little lower than stock and some longer rear shocks the rake and trail comes out pretty reasonable. At least in my layout drawing ;) If it doesn't work out a custom or even adjustable clamp would be ideal, especially a wider one that leaves more room for the brakes would simplify fitting calipers around spokes.

I used the FZR600 forks with the stock XS650 wheel/axle and TT500 triple clamps. The FZR lowers needed to be machined from 15mm to 17mm to accept the XS axle. The TT500 clamps were bored out 2mm to take the FZR upper tubes. The TT500 headstock was lengthened approx 5/8". And then all the usual bearing/spacer/brake BS... Not "bolt-on", but not stupid difficult either.

Like Slide says, watch the offset and be careful of the rake/trail numbers you end up with.

Alright sweet. Good info there guys. So for those of you who did use Dollars to build yours, do you remember approximately how much the parts cost? I'm assuming ebay was the primary source for parts so I know that its likely not going to be the same for everyone but i'm just trying to ballpark and decide if its feasible for me to try this right now

Hey guys so I've got an 81' xs That's been sitting collecting dust while I built my bobber. Now that the winter's hit and the bobber is nearly complete i'm thinking of doing a cafe build on the 81'.

I'm wondering for those of you that have done it, how difficult and how expensive is it to swap an r6 or r1 front end onto the xs? I'm a machinist so i'm not too concerned about that aspect of it. But what All did you replace and machine when you did it?

Next question is in regards to the wheel and axle. Do stock spokes swap directly on or will I need a new rim and axle to make it work?

Thanks

My thread on putting on a SV650 front end, without grinding or modifying the Yamaha frame. OEM Bottom seal remains.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13558

It should be noted, the 1st Gen SV650 was chosen for the 17mm Axle (Same as XS650), 30mm Lower stem bearing (Same as XS650), 25mm Upper stem bearing (Same as XS650 and 755mm Front end length (very compariable to the XS650).

Brake discs require a Redrill/machine of the Bolt circle into them. I suggest a big Washer to restablish a consistent pressure under the bolt heads, and to pretty up the area a little. New stops need to be drilled/nutted to the SV650 triple clamp. 3mm spacers under the discs to get the brake discs back out to the SV650 Brake disc - Brake disc measurement.

Alright sweet. Good info there guys. So for those of you who did use Dollars to build yours, do you remember approximately how much the parts cost? I'm assuming ebay was the primary source for parts so I know that its likely not going to be the same for everyone but i'm just trying to ballpark and decide if its feasible for me to try this right now

I paid $225 for my front end (included forks, triple clamps, axle, brake calipers, and clip-on bars. Bearings to fit it to the XS headstock were about $40 (kit was for an H3 I think). Bearings to fit the XS hub to the R6 axle were $30 (kit for a honda that had the right diameters). Sounds like you can make your own spacers but I needed a friend to handle that.

So for those of you who did use Dollars to build yours, do you remember approximately how much the parts cost?

I picked up the fork legs, triple clamps, rotors, and calipers off eBay for about $300. Brembo master cylinder was $160. Maybe $50 more for stock and tooling to pull off the rotor spacers and headstock stretch.

Head and wheel bearings were the usual All-Balls replacements, and the new brake lines basic Russell braided stainless... I would have replaced these anyways, regardless of whether I kept the stock front end or not, so I didn't really include them in the "upgrade" cost.

It's not the "big ticket" stuff like the forks, clamps, and brakes that will wear you down; it's all the little stuff, like the new mirror to fit the new master cylinder that your new brakes require... It's the details that blew my budget! :doh:

I'm about to start with an 01 R6 front end. I wanted to keep the "right way up" forks.

From what I have read, the yokes of the r6 should fit into the XS with different bearings, keeping the R6 stem. Blue spot calipers should fit with the stock XS hub, but you will need some spacers to move the discs outward approx 10mm.

I have all the parts, but have not offered anything up yet.

Here is a good thread to have a look at especially for the R6 front end
www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18807

Here is a thr

Back