ARE CLASSIC BIKES TO BE BANNED IN EUROPE?

Um... you guys do realized this is just a "proposal".... right? It's not a law, it's not set in stone. By the EU's own admission, about half the member countries can't currently comply with this proposal. I suspect the end result will be well watered down form this current... proposal. Put away your pitchforks and holster that sidearm....

Breathe, gentlemen....
I was reading somewhere in a lot of the major European countries that if your bike wasn't above a certain year, newer model, meaning you did not meet emission standards you are required to have a special permit to ride at certain times in certain areas. I'm sure this is in effect. This is another scheme to get the oldies off the road or minimize the numbers of them. It's almost to the point anyway that anyone who owns an old bike has to be a machinist as you can't get certain parts for them anymore. I'm talking critical parts not shims and bolts. I went to a Yamaha shop here in canada some time back asking if they'd rebuild my bottom end of my xs650 and the two guys behind the counter said it's too cost prohibitive so throw it out. Its this attitude that makes owning and operating an old bike more and more difficult.

I was reading somewhere in a lot of the major European countries that if your bike wasn't above a certain year, newer model, meaning you did not meet emission standards you are required to have a special permit to ride at certain times in certain areas. I'm sure this is in effect. This is another scheme to get the oldies off the road or minimize the numbers of them. It's almost to the point anyway that anyone who owns an old bike has to be a machinist as you can't get certain parts for them anymore. I'm talking critical parts not shims and bolts. I went to a Yamaha shop here in canada some time back asking if they'd rebuild my bottom end of my xs650 and the two guys behind the counter said it's too cost prohibitive so throw it out. Its this attitude that makes owning and operating an old bike more and more difficult.
In Cal it's probably the same. Happily I have three solid XS650 lowers...and I'll be gone before I use up even one. The really old stuff, for example the WL and WLA and UL's etc are infinite life cycle designs... well, not infinite..but for our lifetimes they are. I was myself shocked when they stopped registering "special construction" bikes. This includes "major modifications" to stockers of any age...and they decide what a "major modification" might be... a hot cam? Pipes? Mismatched serial numbers? So far no problemo...But all it's going to take is a memo from da gubner to the cops, a "rule change", not a law change... So far, I think that some States will register special construction, and Title Services, for a healthy price, will do that without moving the bike. Then of course the State by Federal Law must accept the scooter and register it... say $1000 - I'm guessing at the cost. I looked it up some time back. That said, the Feds own you anytime they want, and the bike...they can take everything, anytime, even your life... I suppose same same EU UK CA NZ and so forth...

Back