are mags tubeless?

ok Gary.... what do you mean by chased over a pass by a cage ?
sounds Like you got your speed fix for a few days anyway lol 1200 miles is a long way wow !!!!!
glad you made it back safe and sound !
Bob............

Caught a trailer ride out to Kalispell, MT, rode down to Idaho then back east to home, chased by a cage; a sedan was making time and I just HAD to stay well in front of him, Right officer ??? A mountain pass about 25 miles up to 8,000 feet (snow on the ground for about 5 miles) and back down the other side. After that is when I noticed the flat.
1200 miles after the flat tire, rode 2500 miles in 5 days. BUT the RSV is one comfy barge Cruise I added wrist blades and a backrest have a sheep skin butt pad with a slightly inflated air bladder. The wind shield completely blocks wind from my torso and head, I can ride with the visor up and get no wind. Bluetooth headset inside the Quietride helmet playing tunes from the Garmin, It's kind of cheating, but you know what they say about old age and treachery. Saw a young guy headed west on the slab in SD on a hardtail bobber, prolly an XS Now that's a tough guy!

Last edited:
Nope, not gonna either! Next up; a couple hours on the H mowing pasture.

Attachments

• 20170628_180008.jpg
    20170628_180008.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 20170629_134234.jpg
    20170629_134234.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20170629_203242.jpg
    20170629_203242.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 160
LOL You got this old man beat I never did more than 1200 miles in a trip ! LOL...... its ferin country past that ! LOL
....looks like great fun though
..... for years I wanted to go to every state in the US on the bike and just see the lay of the land .... but Now... I'm happy to just know the back roads here..... anything over 20 miles makes me hurt all over and 50 miles makes my ass sore.... so I guess My big riding days are over.
last ride I had on the XS made me remember all the plans I had for this life and I don't need reminded of that ! it's All water under the bridge now ! .....as My mother used to say its Not the years Son it's the milage !!!!!! and I've had too many miles to want more ! LOL
Bob........

Bob Kelly you pretty much summed me up also! I mentioned yesterday to my wife I should sell the Harley. I said 50 miles is enough for me. 100 miles and my azz is screaming. Not from roids either! She said "it's paid for honey, keep it". She's definately a keeper!

Yah isn't that Great about Wives they know us better than we know ourselves ! because if we did get rid of it we'ed be miserable with no Bike !..... I gott'a have SOME bike to play with ... even if it's just a little 100cc dirt bike but something !
I don't think I need the 650 though as it's not getting used I'ed rather putter in the shop and make things that go for a ride.... ( now that's a sad state of affairs!) but the truth hurts ! and that's just how it is !
oh well , maybe I can trade the xs650 for a good running street legal 250 some day !
i have hopes ! HA !
Bob........

Go ahead and share, I have done side by side comparisons of the XS650 tube and tubeless, mags the only difference I can find is the drilling for the valve stem. The beads appear identical. NO XS650 mag I have seen has the second safety bead that became standard "later". Not advocating just reporting what I see. There is a weird sportster/goodyear combo that was made for a year or two that was a known bad thing once goodyear quit making that special tire.
Lots and lots of darkside riders on all brands of big cruisers, with many it's going to kill you naysayers, yet I have not found a single "smoking gun" incident of a failure due to the rim bead/tire bead mismatch.
If lawyers are here to "help us" why are so many court settlements sealed? o_O
Face it you buy an old vehicle there are lots of "pre NHTSA gotchas. There's a crash comparison of a 57 Impala compared to a late model, it's scary how bad those old cars were. Research John Stapp for a very interesting history of crash testing (there's a book).

and so it was for everyone else at the time in the 70's and 80's if the tire stayed up after you inflated it ....it was good to go !
and for the most part that is the attitude i've taken with bike tires all my life.... however seeing the difference between 45 year old tires hardness and brand new tires made me realise that it is a really good idea to chuck the old tires for new ones...not to mention a softer ride !
.....I never miss matched tubeless with tubed tires simply because every bike I've ever owned had tubes in them never had a bike with mags.
those spoked rims demanded tubes and simply would not hold air even if you sealed it with 3M weather stripping.... I know I tried because I got a tire that said tubeless on it and I wanted to see if it balanced better... balancing a tubed tire sux ! .... needless to say I put the tube in it anyway....... about 4 weeks later that cheep POS of a tire went flat on the freeway and came off the rim in a hart beat..... why i didn't go down I do not know... I guess the good lord had plans for me ! LOL......
.... one thing for certain tires are something that you SHOULD consider carefully... don't take the attitude that if it holds air it's in good shape ... that could get you killed very easily.... take the time and effort to know the tire, and the rim's requirements and buy a good tube not a cheep thing something with a thickness to it . the cheap ones are just a glorified balloon so thin that anything rough will penetrate them ...like a grain of sand in the tire....
LOL..... FWIW
Bob.......

Back