Are mikesXS black rims paint or powdercoat?

I'd like to know as well. I ordered one and should have have it by Monday and will report back.

On a side note, after reading your thread on the difficulty of properly lacing the Mike's rim to a stock xs rear hub, I contacted them about the black 2.5x18 36 hole rim. I asked if it required spoke angle drilling like you were doing with their silver rim. They assured me that it wouldn't be needed if I was using the correct spokes and a stock hub. I am a bit skeptical but cautiously optimistic of their claim as I imagine it is the same rim as you have just painted/powdercoated.

I acquired a used one in a trade... It was powder coated, and looked very good, except one side was a dark bronze color... It looked like they anodized the aluminum rim dark bronze, and then powder coated it black, but didn't cover the one side... The dark bronze was beautiful, so was the powder-coated black, they just weren't consistent with each other.

Well I have an update.

The rim came in today and I laced it up to my stock drum hub using the Mike's stainless spoke kit.................:yikes:

I am pleased to say that the spoke angles look to be right on. :thumbsup: Take that for what it's worth as this is my first respoke but it looks good to me. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

-Ryan

ETA- It appears to be powdercoated.

Last edited:
Back