Are these bs38's?

Dandan

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After a bit of research I believe these to be bs38's. Can someone confirm? I bought them off a guy who had a Lot of them. Just wanna confirm year model and carb type so I can order a rebuild kit.
4cb025c8.jpg

a4d6492a.jpg

Yes, those are '78-'79 BS38s. The "tells" are the internal bowl vents (holes at 3 and 9 o'clock around the inlets in your 1st pic) and the lack of overflow drain nipples on the bowls.

Anyone know where to get the slide needle? One if them is gummed up pretty bad and it appears the kits on mikesxs don't include them

I'm guessing you're talking about the jet needle. You can get them from MikesXS. I think stock for your bike is Part #48-0659 from Mikes.

Make sure you clean the needle jet very well so all the holes are clear or get a new one as well.

Can anyone refer me to any earlier posts or information that can help identify different year XS carbs and the changes over the years? Pictures like these are very helpful. Mine do have the bowl drain tubes and the adjustable jets on the sides.
jefft

There isn't one definitive spot for carb I.D. but by combining several of the sources, you can usually find your way. The pic above from MikesXS will get you in the ballpark but doesn't go into enough detail to get to the exact year in some cases. Checking the jet sizes against the chart in the link can do it if they haven't been changed from stock. Unfortunately, many of these carb sets have been rejetted. Checking the needle and needle jet is a better bet. They rarely get changed. The Australian XS site has a pretty good carb I.D. write-up but unfortunately includes no pics .....

http://www.xs650.org.au/XS-TX650 Carburetor Evolution.htm

The only minor errors I found there .....

- Float bowl overflow nipples removed in '78, not '77 as stated

- First year (1980) BS34s used a drain bolt on the bowls just like the BS38s. The side accessed drain screw and nipple didn't come along until '81.

few more questions, when ordering new carb holders do i get the ones made for the hoders for 78-79 carbs? also on my choke rod where the screw mounts the plunger actuator im missing one of the pointed screws that connect the two. where can i get that screw? of needed i will try to make one but rather pay for convenience.

Yes, I would get the '78-'79 carb holders. They will have the vacuum nipples which will allow you to hook up sync gauges. The '74-'77 holders will also work but won't have those nipples. I don't think that choke rod screw is available any more. A used one or making one would be your only options.

Lol, I figured. To the bench grinder it is then. Also on the inside of the slide on one side there is a c clip holding down a flat piece of plastic with 4 holes in it with a plastic rod coming up the middle( plastic rod and flat 4 hole piece is 1 piece) but on the other side there is only a flat piece and the slide needle. Am I missing something on that side or is that the way it's supposed to be with just the slide spring holding it down

You have a mismatched set of slides there. The first one you described with the snap ring is the correct slide for your year carbs. The second with the plastic disc retained by the slide return spring is from an earlier carb set. The two slide types use different needles which means your midrange tuning will not match between cylinders. That may cause some problems.

I have found a good year to model listing for the BS38 carbs. If I do this right you should find it to. I think the original was in Dutch, then translated to German, then English. Some of the wording makes reading a bit interesting.
I downloaded it so I have it.
www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm
Leo

For a more comprehensive and better organized list of year-by-year features, components and changes, join the Yamaha 650 Society and order back issue 303 of the Society News (contains the first of a series or articles on TX/XS650 carburetors). For the Society's site, click the link at 650 Central. About the only item you can trust in a knockoff rebuild kit is the float bowl gasket, which you usually don't need to replace. Do yourself a favor and get the real stuff.

As qrizld1 says, most kits won't help much. Follow www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf to tear down, clean and inspect what you have. Once you find out what you have and the condition of the parts then get the right parts.
No sense in buying kits that have most of the parts unusable.
Leo

Back