Are you an "under revver", "over revver"?

Depends on what I'm riding. I'm a lugger on the 650 because that's where its sweet spot is. On the GPz, it's a screamer. On the H1, you have to wring its neck to get any power. Plus, it makes a beautiful sound when on the pipe. The FJR is an appliance, but it seems happy at every RPM.

As I expected, we all seem to favor the mid-range torque of our 650s. Just because it has a redline of 7500 rpm doesn't mean it wants to be run up there.
Back when my bike was new and I was young and dumb, I ran mine in 5th gear all the way to where it ran out of poop. I only felt the need to do it once.

I run 17/32 sprockets, so 60 = 4000 rpm. So when I turn onto a 55 mph secondary road and accelerate, I shift at 4k. If I go to pass, I'll sometimes see 6k, but that's usually as close to redline as I get. On a 70 mph freeway, 75 = 5000 roughly, so it's still in its happy place, but those roads are no fun on this bike, and I have a liter bike for that. So yeah, I'm a lugger. But like everyone else says, that engine's happy place is 3500 - 5500, and that's where it sounds the best anyway.

I like to find bottom third of good torque in any of the higher gears and on any motorcycle. Switch scooters often, I let them share, and the old fella need for ear plugs...means this dude has need for good tach on XS and XL,,,the 80 don't matter. Like ya used to do with 220 Cummins and 4 x 4 x 3 --- feather the throttle rather than get in a hurry. Later fellas. In traffic it's closer to center of T...you know, cagemannutz. Gotta dodge.

BTW, is there a good electronic tach that fitzall...eg '02XL and 70-80 XS? I don't keep up as the more serious of y'all do... Recommend? Thanks. 40N

I run 17/32 sprockets, so 60 = 4000 rpm. So when I turn onto a 55 mph secondary road and accelerate, I shift at 4k. If I go to pass, I'll sometimes see 6k, but that's usually as close to redline as I get. On a 70 mph freeway, 75 = 5000 roughly, so it's still in its happy place, but those roads are no fun on this bike, and I have a liter bike for that. So yeah, I'm a lugger. But like everyone else says, that engine's happy place is 3500 - 5500, and that's where it sounds the best anyway.
@Wirenut, I believe your tachometer is incorrect. It does not match my two Specials. 60 mph is very close to 4000 on my XS650SH with 17/34 sprockets. 4000 rpm takes my XS650SK to close to 65 mph with 17/33 sprockets.

@Wirenut, I believe your tachometer is incorrect. It does not match my two Specials. 60 mph is very close to 4000 on my XS650SH with 17/34 sprockets. 4000 rpm takes my XS650SK to close to 65 mph with 17/33 sprockets.

Be interesting to see who's speedo and/or tach is correct...
My SG is running with 17/31's. I checked my speed with a GPS speedo app. 65mph GPS is exactly 4000rpm (indicated) in hi gear.

EDIT: Rear tire is a 130/90-16
Front is a 100/90-19

Last edited:
Edited my comment above to reflect tire sizes.
The size even changes by brand of tire. One mold makes three or four sizes. And, I thought our clocks were marginally accurate. May not so marginal, but I have two very close to each other. Both bikes wear the same tires.

The size even changes by brand of tire. One mold makes three or four sizes.
I think the differences between brands is minimal. A 130/90 might be a mm or two different between brands/molds, but they're built to an industry standard, so I'd expect them to fairly close.... within a mph or so anyway.

within a mph or so anyway.
I can't attest to that either way. I did measure a bunch of mounted and serviced tires with a caliper. Three brands of 100/90-19 varied in width from <95 to almost 110 mm! I remember a Metzeler ME880 being the most oversize and a Dunlop Arrowmax running narrow. A wide margin just the same.

Be interesting to see who's speedo and/or tach is correct...
My SG is running with 17/31's. I checked my speed with a GPS speedo app. 65mph GPS is exactly 4000rpm (indicated) in hi gear.

EDIT: Rear tire is a 130/90-16
Front is a 100/90-19
Since ya'all brought it up.....

I was wondering about this the other night in relation to gearing and tire sizes. I see folks saying 17-32 for 16" rear wheels and 17-33 for 18" rear wheels, etc...

Has anyone ever measured the actual circumference (or just mounted height?) of mounted 16" tire/wheels and circumference of mounted 18" tires/wheels? I know on cars and trucks the circumference difference is made up for via sidewall height (or lack of height) for larger rims.

Just one of those "Hmmm...I wonder?" kinda deals.

Since ya'all brought it up.....

I was wondering about this the other night in relation to gearing and tire sizes. I see folks saying 17-32 for 16" rear wheels and 17-33 for 18" rear wheels, etc...

Has anyone ever measured the actual circumference (or just mounted height?) of mounted 16" tire/wheels and circumference of mounted 18" tires/wheels? I know on cars and trucks the circumference difference is made up for via sidewall height (or lack of height) for larger rims.

Just one of those "Hmmm...I wonder?" kinda deals.
When you accept the fact that your XS650 will never be a VFR750/ XJ1100/FZ750 and just enjoy the ride 17/32, 18/34, 18/33 will be entirely adequate.

Makes me wonder now. I have an electronic tach I can rig up and of course GPS on my phone. That indicated 60 is probably 58 actual, as I have checked the speedo, and it's a little optimistic.

When you accept the fact that your XS650 will never be a VFR750/ XJ1100/FZ750 and just enjoy the ride 17/32, 18/34, 18/33 will be entirely adequate.
Oh, Ive beyond accepted that, as evidenced by the number of XS-650's I own. 😆😁😄

Its more of a gee-wizz thing that makes me wonder what the actual, measured difference is because I see the 16" &18" gearing difference referenced quite often?

Oh, Ive beyond accepted that, as evidenced by the number of XS-650's I own. 😆😁😄

Its more of a gee-wizz thing that makes me wonder what the actual, measured difference is because I see the 16" &18" gearing difference referenced quite often?
I accept the a fact that XS650 performance is not quite geewhiz but closer to gee snooze.
Offered in the very kindest way, I have 2 at this point, searching for a 3rd.

Back