Are you an "under revver", "over revver"?

I run 17/33 sprockets on 18'' rims with Pirelli Scorpion tires. You have to input the tire circumference in mm into the Moto Gadget Speedo unit. My Moto Gadget speedo has an accurate electronic Tacho. Apart from ignition set up I never use the Tacho! Riding these old bikes generally calls for a bit of mechanical sympathy (Crotch Rockets the are not), so change when you like and just enjoy the ride; its not worth the worry.

@Wirenut, I believe your tachometer is incorrect. It does not match my two Specials. 60 mph is very close to 4000 on my XS650SH with 17/34 sprockets. 4000 rpm takes my XS650SK to close to 65 mph with 17/33 sprockets.
Iirc with my 17/34, I’m revving about 4100 @ 60mph. This is with aftermarket tach and Speedo so I don’t know the true accuracy.

Iirc with my 17/34, I’m revving about 4100 @ 60mph. This is with aftermarket tach and Speedo so I don’t know the truears andaccuracy.
It is not unlikely that aftermarket instruments are more accurate than oem mechanical/ magnetic instruments. Many years ago, I replaced the mechanical speedo on my Ducati Monster, and installed an electronic tachometer in its place. Then I fitted an electronic bicycle speedometer with an inductive pickup. For this speedo, you could enter wheel circumference in mm. That front wheel had around 2000 mm circumference, so the setting would have a max error of 0.05 %. Which is pretty good, I would say. After the initial programming, I checked the calibration, using the odometer function over a 10 km distance, going by the official "mile markers" (steel poles every 0.5 km). Then I altered the circumference setting accordingly, and did another test run. So I am confident that the bicycle speedo was as accurate as can be. While mechanical speedometers often read 5 to 10 percent optimistic ...

I have a friend who's been around regarding machines. He also has an older brother who is a real master mechanic. They both maintain that at least one redline burst everytime you run a machine is required. I purchased a 750 Comando from the younger one with 27k on it. Started the first kick (after compression kick), everytime. Ran perfect. However, he did blow the original engine on it's maiden voyage. Norton gave him a new one. So, who knows? I have hot rods, but I don't hot rod. No taste for abuse.

Is your re-phased XS a 700, 750 or larger? What brand pistons?
I have 2 277 engines, the one in the bike now is all stock. The other one has a megacycle cam and used to be 700 with je pistons. Now it is 707 with cruzinimage pistons. The 707 is going back in when I get a rainy afternoon.

I have 2 277 engines, the one in the bike now is all stock. The other one has a megacycle cam and used to be 700 with je pistons. Now it is 707 with cruzinimage pistons. The 707 is going back in when I get a rainy afternoon.
Ok, just wondering what to expect from a re-phased 750 with regards to vibrations

Ok, just wondering what to expect from a re-phased 750 with regards to vibrations
The je pistons were the heaviest and may have been the smoothest with them. Should be pretty good with 750.

Back to the original topic, I like to use the whole tach but the sweet spot is between 3000 and 3500. With 40/75 gearing that's about 40 to 55.

I went out for several hours yesterday and paid close attention to my machine. It's a low mileage XS650SH with 17/34 sprockets. By my clocks, if the tack says 4000 rpm, the speedometer says 58 mph as best I can tell. I rode everything from divided highway to dirt and gravel. At 3500 RPM, the vibration is slow and low amplitude. Beautiful for lollygagging on Mississippi back roads. If I throttle too much in high gear, from say 2500 rpm, I can hear detonation (pinging). Starting at 4000 rpm, the vibrations are high amplitude. If I put my left hand on either of the clocks, I wonder how they don't go to pieces. They have to be very robust. Meanwhile, the rubber isolation bits do their job and I'm not uncomfortable. Out on the big highway, the high amplitude goes away at 4800. Running at 70 mph, it feels much smoother and vibrates like my electric shaver. The engine is in the powerband and is singing along happily. I very seldom operate it there and for this bike, it was the first time. For how I ride my bike, I'll be sticking with the 17/34 set-up as my favorite. The 4000 to 4800 rpm range shakes it pretty hard. It's not a range I want to stay in.

image_50767617.JPG

Last edited:
I went out for several hours yesterday and paid close attention to my machine. It's a low mileage XS650SH with 17/34 sprockets. By my clocks, if the tack says 4000 rpm, the speedometer says 58 mph as best I can tell. I rode everything from divided highway to dirt and gravel. At 3500 RPM, the vibration is slow and low amplitude. Beautiful for lollygagging on Mississippi back roads. If I throttle too much in high gear, from say 2500 rpm, I can hear detonation (pinging). Starting at 4000 rpm, the vibrations are high amplitude. If I put my left hand on either of the clocks, I wonder how they don't go to pieces. They have to be very robust. Meanwhile, the rubber isolation bits do their job and I'm not uncomfortable. Out on the big highway, the high amplitude goes away at 4800. Running at 70 mph, it feels much smoother and vibrates like my electric shaver. The engine is in the powerband and is singing along happily. I very seldom operate it there and for this bike, it was the first time. For how I ride my bike, I'll be sticking with the 17/34 set-up as my favorite. The 4000 to 4800 rpm range shakes it pretty hard. It's not a range I want to stay in.

View attachment 249672
Sounds like it behaves like my bike when it was stock.

Went for a blast down the highway this afternoon with the stock 277. Smooth as can be around 80 mph (5700 rpm or so) and like a 360 a little rough in the 4500 rpm range. Think it is due to frame and handlebar resonances. Still was nice to get off the highway and down to 55 or less... too much wind, noise, etc at 70 or 80.

Last edited:

View attachment 249672
Yesterday, I employed my XS650SK. It has 17/33 sprockets. My speedometer is unsteady in the needle. 4000 rpm is about 65 mph. 3500 is about 58, so I positively drive it faster. Here’s the big deal. The XS650SK doesn’t have high amplitude vibrations. It’s smooth everywhere! So, something isn’t right with the XS650SH. Perhaps the easiest troubleshooting is to just swap the carburetors between the bikes. Now that I felt that much difference between the bikes, I’m not going to be able to live with it. 😡

Yesterday, I employed my XS650SK. It has 17/33 sprockets. My speedometer is unsteady in the needle. 4000 rpm is about 65 mph. 3500 is about 58, so I positively drive it faster. Here’s the big deal. The XS650SK doesn’t have high amplitude vibrations. It’s smooth everywhere! So, something isn’t right with the XS650SH. Perhaps the easiest troubleshooting is to just swap the carburetors between the bikes. Now that I felt that much difference between the bikes, I’m not going to be able to live with it. 😡
Has the balance factor changed between these models? Different pistons, rods, crankshaft? Sounds odd if not.

Perhaps the easiest troubleshooting is to just swap the carburetors between the bikes.
I'd try carb sync, fresh plugs and fresh plug caps first... one at a time to see which, if any makes a difference. Valve clearances 'tween cylinders can have an affect too, though much smaller. Off the top of my head that's stuff I'd try before swapping carbs.

The XS650SK doesn’t have high amplitude vibrations.
Could be a difference in tune: little carb synch or combustion differences....... My bet though would be on crankshaft balance or runnout being different between the two bikes.:shrug: With a spec. crank Runnout of .002", it leaves a lot of room for variance

Could be a difference in tune: little carb synch or combustion differences....... My bet though would be on crankshaft balance or runnout being different between the two bikes.:shrug: With a spec. crank Runnout of .002", it leaves a lot of room for variance
I gotta say, the SK is silk smooth compared to the SH in the 4000 to 4800 range. I can’t do 5000+ test easily on the SK because the speed is so high. I need lots of room and no traffic.

Back