asked a trusted xs650 gentleman for costs to paint my tins,,,,

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys well i asked a gentleman thats well trusted for a cost of painting my 1976 tank and side covers in 2 pac with clear over and of course pin stripping included ,,,he,s quoted me 875 near enough ... he does a superb job that looks great ... i have sprayed accly... with clear but i don,t have the experience he shows he has ,,,, what are your opions on costs ,,,,, regards oldbiker

Learn how to paint.....it would want to be full on custom job for those dollars. However not much in Australia is cheap when you look at labour rates etc...
You may be surprised how good of a look you can get from using quality paint from cans. Most of the work goes into good prep for a good paint job.

Close to price I paid for my tank and fairing. Worth the price if full on custom.

full

hi guys well i asked a gentleman thats well trusted for a cost of painting my 1976 tank and side covers in 2 pac with clear over and of course pin stripping included ,,,he,s quoted me 875 near enough ... he does a superb job that looks great ... i have sprayed accly... with clear but i don,t have the experience he shows he has ,,,, what are your opions on costs ,,,,, regards oldbiker

had 2 quotes last year from 2 tradesman painters last year 2 pac paint tank and covers (no dents) on the atherton tablelands $350 and $300.finished up buying a custom painted set from usa $250 and a $100 shipping so now i have spares.there is a guy on 650 club site (peter,xs650 spares) with tank and guards freshly?? painted for $400

had 2 quotes last year from 2 tradesman painters last year 2 pac paint tank and covers (no dents) on the atherton tablelands $350 and $300.finished up buying a custom painted set from usa $250 and a $100 shipping so now i have spares.there is a guy on 650 club site (peter,xs650 spares) with tank and guards freshly?? painted for $400
.............................. thanks for that ,,,, i,m thinking a similar line of thought,,, i,m regularly on the aussie site regards oldbiker

Def to much for a reg two tone job. You can do the paint yourself using acry, or base clear. The biggest thing is to have the prep work good. You can always sand the base down if it has runs or imperfections using 800-1000 grit, as well as the clear coat.

hi guys,,,, well on friday 1/11/13 ,,i went shopping in bordertown and i did my shopping then i followed the the chinese style dribble on a 4" square bit of paper my old 80 year old mate gave me,, and after i asked 3 different persons where a street was i found the guy ,,,,he had fixed an old 1987 xf ute that was smashed in the left hand front and also colour matched it which was a mid metalic blue ford came out with back then ,,so i went and talked to him ,,,,,,,,,sorry he does nice spray jobs,,,, si we got talking and he gave me quotes for my wagon that has some slight scratches ,,,,so for about $500 and 3 days there i get my wagon back looking nice again,,, then i said i,ve got a bike tank and side covers,,, ,,so if i go with 2 pac and clear over $200 pick up in 2-3 days if i go ahead ,,, he doesn,t do pin stripping ,,but another guy in town he does work with him hand paints pinstripping ,,so it looks like i may be on a winner,,,, regards oldbiker ................sorry for being so long

Last edited:
hi guys,,,, well on friday 1/11/13 ,,i went shopping in bordertown and i did my shopping then i followed the the chinese style dribble on a 4" square bit of paper my old 80 year old mate gave me,, and after i asked 3 different persons where a street was i found the guy ,,,,he had fixed an old 1987 xf ute that was smashed in the left hand front and also colour matched it which was a mid metalic blue ford came out with back then ,,so i went and talked to him ,,,,,,,,,sorry he does nice spray jobs,,,, si we got talking and he gave me quotes for my wagon that has some slight scratches ,,,,so for about $500 and 3 days there i get my wagon back looking nice again,,, then i said i,ve got a bike tank and side covers,,, ,,so if i go with 2 pac and clear over $200 pick up in 2-3 days if i go ahead ,,, he doesn,t do pin stripping ,,but another guy in town he does work with him hand paints pinstripping ,,so it looks like i may be on a winner,,,, regards oldbiker ................sorry for being so long

if you go 2pac dont forget to let it sit and cure for a couple of weeks or so

Back