Assembly question

David Toll

Reliving my youth?
Top Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I am in the final stages of top end assembly. New chain guide, new rings, new seals, lapped valves, new gaskets, new cam chain, just about everything I need to get the wind in my hair, (I'm bald!!). Just put the jugs on and the head. Used Copper gasket sealer on base and head gasket, (I know the base gasket doesn't require it but i felt that the expert opinion here didn't think that it would do any harm). I have snugged everything down but haven't applied a torsion wrench as yet.

My problem is that I have been called away and am out of here within an hour or two. Can I put the rocker cover on and tighten it down a little to keep everything in place until I get back, (about a week). I know some would say that I could have put a smear of Three Bond on the cover and installed it in the time it has taken me to write this query but, I prefer not to be rushed and I want to check my cam chain installation before I seal everything up.
Can I leave it as is for a week or do I run the risk of leaking gaskets?

As long as all the head bolts are good and snug, I'd say you'd be fine for a week or so.

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. I have only put the big 4 outer nuts on but I might whack a couple more in the middle for good measure. Now, clean underwear, socks............

David, I don't know which copper bearing gasket sealant you used, but if it's a non-hardening type you can let the motor sit indefinitely before tightening up. I always let Permatex Spray-A-Gasket dry before assembly, and have let treated gaskets sit for weeks when life got in the way of the job.

Cheers grizld. It's an Australian brand called "VHT Copper Gasket". I assume that the characteristics are the same. I feel better about leaving her now.

Back