Assembly tips please

The Tin Man

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am almost ready to start my mock up. I dont have a stand and im keen to hear any tips that will make things easier. Should i put the engine in first or swing arm and forks and wheels then the engine? Should i have a stand of some kind?

Any wisdom appreciated

Here're some ideas for stands.I use second hand roller bearings from work at one end and 1 castor or on the XS one 2 castors at the other end.
DSCF6495.JPG
DSCF6480.JPG
DSCF6605.JPG

I'd say most assemble the rolling chassis first then stick the motor in. Personally, I'm a fan of the stock centerstand. That will make the assembled chassis a stable platform to work on. I consider the sidestand a short term, limited use item.

The center stand is certainly a stable platform but I have a lot of back trouble so it's just too low for me .Here's another thing I made. The engine cradle also can be used to lift the motor into the frame, provided you have a lifting device. If you haven't most seem to think the easiest way is to lay the motor down on its side and lower the frame over it.
Bear in mind I am very much the new kid on the block here, still finishing my first XS. There are much more experienced guys here than me.
DSCF6444.JPG
DSCF6462.JPG

On a limited budget you can do the following:
  • Get the front and rear wheels on the frame and place the bike on the center stand.
  • On the right side of the bike built a simple wooden platform from scrap to the height of the frame at the lower center engine mounting bolt hole.
  • Place the engine, with the polished left side cover removed, onto the platform.
  • Wrap some padding around the frame, especially where the exhaust studs can hit the frame.
  • Sit astride the bike with no seat and place a thickly folded blanket over the frame where the tank should sit. Lean forwards onto the blanket which will stop you getting bruised from all the bits that stick out
  • With leather gloves on, to avoid cutting yourself, tilt the engine slightly to the left and lift/slide the engine into the frame. The tilting is reqiure to clear the top frame. There will be no weight on your back during this. The lifting/tilting is done by your arms and the load is taken by your chest resting on the blanket/padding. I find the alternator and the kick start shaft to be good lifting points and well balanced.
  • Once the engine is in the frame you can rest and the engine and it will not fall through. The only issue here is the engine can rock forwards and the exhaust studs scratch the frame.
  • Then slide the bottom center engine mount bolt in. It will go in easily on the right side then it takes a little fiddling to get it through the hole on the left.
  • Tilt the engine backwards and insert the rear mounting bolt located below the kick start. The engine is now secure.
You may end up with a couple of small bruises on your chest, but your back will be fine.

Back