Assistance with front brake parts list?

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, guys...

I am getting closer to freshening my front brake on my '73 TX, and was wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me check my parts list. I have been corresponding with MMM on this, but for all his expertise, communication issues are making it very difficult for me to get a parts list and invoice before I pay for goods. I want to get moving on this and may have to pursue a more direct route.

I have been looking at Mike's, and here is my partial parts list:

- M/C Part# 08-6009 (direct replacement for mine/fits 72-76; would cost me almost as much to rebuild mine in coin and my time = false economy)

- Caliper Kit Part# 29-0019 (fits TX650 calipers)

- Pads Part# 29-3508 (fits TX650)

Where I am confused is the hose. My original plan was to upgrade to stainless one-piece, as opposed to upper and lower. The stainless at Mike's seems to be only available for the later models though, and have female banjo fittings at both ends. If you can see on the attached image, my existing lower hose seems to thread right into (what looks like) a female fitting at the metal tube to the caliper. So, I'm trying to decide whether to stick with any benefit of stainless and try to get the right fittings at each end of a one-piece hose, or just go with OEM coil-protected two-piece from Mike's. I want to make sure I have everything I need, right down to copper washers, before I even touch a wrench, as this will be my first time working on brakes in many years, and I don't want to have the bike out of service for too long now that I an finally having some fun miles.

Thank you!

TC

Attachments

• 100_1208.jpg
    100_1208.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 159
Guys, thank you. Part of my dilemma is that I can't state with confidence what size fittings I actually need.

Downer, thanks for the tip, but they're in Canada. That introduces all kinds of shipping costs, foreign exchange fees, taxes, etc.

TC

Call 3M at 650Central. He specializes in brakes and can probably help you out with a line, maybe better pads, too.

Hi, twins...

Yup, at the top of the thread I had mentioned that I have been corresponding with him, but have pretty much given up because of the difficulty I'm having in getting a pre-purchase parts list/invoice, and the lack of secure payment options (I'm in information assurance and under no circumstances will I make payments via phone or e-mail). He's very knowledgeable indeed, but it's simply far too difficult and immensely frustrating to purchase from him, so I'm having to look at other options.

I may simply go with stock-type replacement line as opposed to braided if the latter makes this next project unnecessarily complex. I really want to do this myself, but with me, any kind of plumbing project can go to hell in a rocket sled very quickly. :p

TC

Last edited:
Guys, my parts are en route from Mike's, as I never heard back from 650Central.

I have a question, though. I have been doing a lot of reading in the Tech section here, and on other related forums. There are a lot of recommendations for upgrades, and a lot of discussions of brake-related topics, but I can't really find anything that actually walks an inexperienced person through front/hydraulic brake maintenance or parts replacement/upgrade... kind of a step-by-step for dummies. Do we have anything like that here or on the old 650rider.com? I have not worked on brakes since I was a kid, and never on a bike.

I will be replacing a seemingly functional, but cosmetically challenged, M/C, replacing the upper and lower stock lines with new stock lines, and rebuilding the caliper. I want to do it right the first time, so any good references you care to point me to or provide will be appreciated!

Thanks!

TC

Hi TeeCat,

I will be revampingmy 75 xs650b soon. I see that you have posted many of the same questions I have on upgrading and restoring your bike. Can you send me a list of any of the "How Tos" you came across that were helpful? From brakes to carbs to wheels, etc....

That is one thing i wish this forum had was more "How To" stickies for maintenance or common upgrades.

On your caliper the line that screws in is 10 mm by 1.00 thread. You need a fitting that is threaded like this to thread into the caliper. The braided stainless lines use an an-3 fitting where the line attaches to the banjo fitting. Getting one of Mike's lines just unscrew the banjo fitting and thread it on the adapter in the caliper.
I'll post a pic of the adapter.
I was talking about this a few days ago and a member was building one piece lines for the early disc brakes. I'll see if I can find it.
Leo

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!GpkBRqVT3tlpg~~60_1.jpg
    $T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!GpkBRqVT3tlpg~~60_1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 93
Found it. In a thread started by shawn00sa, title 72 front brake. He works at a place that has lines. One piece that fits the early disc brake, $65.88.
Has some pics.
Leo

Ok The item #08-6009 is a 16 mm bore master. with this and the kit for your caliper even with a one piece braided stainless line won't be much of an improvement over what you have.
The 16 mm bore master can only produce a set amount of pressure in the system. To make the caliper squeeze the pads against the rotor harder you need to increase the pressure created by the M/C. To do this you need to go with a M/C with a smaller bore.
The later 14 mm bore M/C's will create more pressure. This will be a good improvement. I might try a 12.9 mm like Mike's item # 08-0262. It won't look like the stock M/C but the brakes will be much stronger.
On doing the changes the hardest part will be getting the pistons out of the caliper.
Once apart the cleaning and installing the kit is easy.
Just use plenty of brake fluid as lube on the parts.
Once back together mount it back on the bike. Replace the old M/C with the new. Run the line as you want it but don't hook it up. Now with the M/C mounted and full of fluid, bleed just the M/C by placing a finger tip over the hole the line hooks to. Slowly pump the lever. As you pull the lever you will feel air escape past your finger. When you release the lever your finger seals the hole so fluid gets drawn from the reservoir not past your finger. repeat as needed to get good flow of fluid. Now quickly attach the line to the master and seal the end of the line by the caliper, bleed as you did, Once you get fluid trough the line attach it to the caliper. Bleed at the caliper to finish bleeding.
Another thing you can do is hook the line to the caliper and fill it and the caliper before you hook it to the M/C.
I have done much experimenting with brakes. Using the info MMM provides on www.vintagebrake.com To swap around parts on my 75. Single disc, dual disc, 16 mm, 14 mm and the 12.9 mm bore M/C's. With your two piston caliper the 14 mm or the 12.9 mm M/C's will provide good braking.
Leo

I used an import MC that I picked up new on ebay for $50. Works great. I found a stainless hose and fitting selection at Summit and used that. Price worked out less then the common suppliers. Stainless hose upgrade makes a big difference in your brakes. Less sponge from the rubber hose.

Back