At a loss

bsimmons

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So here's a video of what I'm dealing with the carbs are freshly cleaned and still dealing with the dim headlight issue

dammit! is this the 6 over 650 build that i wanted to watch happen that never got updated?!?!?!!?! sweet looking bike either way. just a guess id say your charging system isnt doing its job, or maybe you have a weak battery? are you running a battery? MORE PHOTOS please.

My battery is full charged. And brand new. So what issue would the charging system be. The regulator is brandnew as well. And I'll try posting more pics but it never lets me

Check at idle, 2500 rpms and 5000 rpms. Report back the voltage at all three rpms.
Leo

So tried testing the volts at the rpm and it won't let me get the rpms that high before it dies out and the battery at idle is about 12.3 but when o turn the light on it drops and doesn't stay the same drops to about 9 volts

It sounds like you have a bad battery. The lights by them selves should not draw a good battery to 9 volts.
Take the battery out, charge it with a motorcycle type battery charger then take it to a place that sells batteries and get the battery load tested.
Leo

Doesnt matter. They can get shorted cells. 12.3 is dead. I had one that would show 12.6 and then put a tail light bulb on it and get like 6volts.

You might have an intermittent short the flickering light or ground wire loose. Find out the cause of the light flicker. Electrical problems process of elimination battery tested good. Not the battery. Listen to leo he knows the electrical system if you follow his advice. Not an expert myself. Charge the battery at least new batteries can crap out.

Ok I'll look into that issue also. Yea he's given me advise that's worked out before. Thanks

not sure what your wiring is like, but like said by scabber you could have a short or possibly a fuse went out or could need cleaning up if you have one. itll run just not charge the battery. but id start with a load test like leo said. any parts store should be able to do it. has your battery ever died? or does it start up with no problems? a starter will eat a battery pretty fast, so it may not be a battery...if you have a multimeter you can use it to check to see if something is grounding its self out. buy a nice one if you can dont go cheap on this tool.

So there's no electric starter it's kick only with a on/off switch I'm about to upload a new video with a brand new battery that I just bought

So let me know what you think thanks

have you tested your stator? how positive are you that your regulator is good? i know its new, but is it good? the new battery test better than it did before, headlight on dropped it to 9 now its at 12.something thats a plus. who did what to your carbs? meaning who cleaned adjusted etc.

How do I test the stator? And this is really the only time the new regulator has been hooked up. Yea was better then the other battery I did the carbs.

12 plus volts at idle and going up to 14 when throttled up is good. Light will be dim at idle and increase in brightness when revved......shows that you're charging.
Might need to fine tune or sync them carbs as your throttle response is a little spotty?
But hey! She's running and charging. Get yourself a manual iff'n ya doesn't have one yet.

Back