Attaching headers?

Jqb12

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your just running with straight header pipes that end somewhere around the foot pegs, can they just be secured at the top, or do you need to somehow clamp or attach them to the frame down below?
Thanks, Jeff

If you are working with an OEM frame just forward of the foot peg there should be a bracket with two 10 mm holes. The pre 80's used both holes, the front attached a tang on the headpipe to the frame. The rear hole was for a clamp used on the the castle nut.
After 80 the mufflers were welded to the headpipes and just the forward hole was used.
It is kinda tight in that area a regular 10 mm bolt with a 16mm head won't work you need a 10mm 1.25 18mm long with a 14mm head. They are available from Yamaha at $4 something a pop. Or Doormans makes that bolt in a 20mm length you can trim.
Of course if your frame and headpipes have been modified all that means nothing to you.
Short answer yes, they should be supported someway somehow.

Hi jqb,
what WER sez.
FYI short open pipes don't work well.
Make 'em longer and add back pressure.

Yeah you're going to want to support them somehow.

common practices include P clamps and home made brackets.

on my first XS I used P clamps that utilized the extra length of the long bottom motor mount bolt.

fredintoon,
Yea, I've been reading up on all that. Haven't decided yet. I have the pipes, just trying to decide whether or not to put them on, and if so, how? I've been told they would only need supported up top due to the short length? The frame is not stock either.

Hi Jeff,
I reckon your source was mistaken.
If the pipes are single wall and cut real short then maybe they'll be OK.
If they are stock double wall pipes sawn off where the mufflers start, not so much.
Bolt the bastards on someplace else or they'll fatigue on you.

I've got those Double TT type of straight exhausts on the bike now. What I don't like is, 1. Any time I've got to do an oil change, I've got to remove the exhausts, cause I can't get to the drain plugs. 2. Any small type of bumps, I'm bottoming up. Need another option?Heres some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 218
run it low and to the sides or run it up high like with pandemonium yo mama pipes.

I'm running into a similar issue with mine having very tight clearances on the sides with my mid mounts, not wanting to go up high with a drop seat, and not wanting to go underneath and lose ground clearance and oil access.

I'm thinking these pipes from hoos will work wonderfully with possibly some modification.
216_P1010027.jpg

My idea is to chop the pipes on the front riser just above the last bend, mount the bottom where it needs to be, and then fill in the gap left. blend the welds and polish the stainless.

Back