Attaching sidestand spring - missing part? (1975)

eghansen

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1975 XS650b that is missing a sidestand spring. I got an OEM spring but can't see where to attach the top of it. Do I need a link plate? If so does anyone know where to pick one up? MikesXS only has them for 1977-84. Thanks!...

The parts diagram doesn't show one .....

74-75Stand.jpg

I'm thinking there should be a nub on the frame or pivot plate to attach it to. You can see that just peeking out from behind the plate on the '70-'73 drawing .....

70-73Stand.jpg

I have a 75' as well, and yeah there's a little nub behind the pivot. If you have to weld something, take into consideration the length of the spring before you do. You said you have an oem, which is good becasue the spring supplied from mikes is too short imo. I had to do this last year and the replacement spring wasnt even close to fitting. Ended up just making the original work and it took three of us to get it back on.. so bring some friends..

Tried to weld on a washer to the nub but it wouldn't hold. Then just added a huge glob of weld and it did the trick. Thank you to my pal Fred for the assistance.

The spring I attached was from MikesXS and it was the perfect length.. went on w/o any trouble.

Back