Attention Gmail Users!

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Attention Gmail Users!

Two important things:
  1. Check your Spam folder for emails from XS650.com (if you can't see your spam folder in gmail, click 'More' in the column on the left). If you find any messages from xs650.com, please remove the spam tag from each message.
  2. Do not tag or mark emails from the site as spam. Please unsubscribe from threads properly. You manage your own notification settings in your control panel. See: Managing Subscriptions - Tracking Updates to Threads. You can also unsubscribe from email notifications using the links provided at the bottom of each email. If you have any problems with this, let me know.

The Problem:
Most mail from XS650.com is going to Gmail users' spam folders. I suspect this problem developed because users who no longer wanted to receive notifications of threads updates, started marking those emails as spam. Google tracks what people mark as spam and uses that to determine what is and isn't spam for everyone. Now google thinks all messages from the site are spam and many other users aren't getting the notification emails that they do want. Also, new users (who are using gmail) aren't getting their activation emails.

If you're using gmail and your messages are going to your inbox, that is probably becuase you have previously emailed admin@xs650.com, have admin@xs650.com in your contact list, or have removed the spam label from an XS650.com email in the past.

Please help by checking your spam folder for message from the site and remove the spam tag from those messages. Thank you! You might also want to add admin@xs650.com to your contact list to ensure that you receive future notification emails. :thumbsup:

The gmail spam filter is pretty aggressive at times. I routinely check my spam folder maybe once or twice a month and usually find a misdirected email or two. I've had no trouble getting my mail from this site though.

I've been having problems for months with email being marked spam by Gmail. I always mark it "not spam" after finding it in my spam folder. I would think that Gmail's filters are smart enough to know vBulletin emails are not spam. I'll add admin@xs650.com to my contacts list.

I was wondering why I stopped getting alerts from subscribed threads... Do I really have to go through 308 back messages and unspam all of them,Travis?

*Nevermind, I got unlazy and just did it:)

Thanks for the feedback guys.. and thanks for doing that SINKING78. Maybe if enough people un-spam the messages, google will get the point.

yep, un-spamed everything XS in my spam folder and they go to my inbox just fine now! Thanks Travis! :)

To be fair, while I did suggest that members were deliberately marking e-mails as spam, it could also be because the spam and delete buttons in gmail are right next to each other and some mistakenly click the wrong button.

Either way, please consider the rest of us and be careful.

I think its more likely that their algorithms just decided that it resembled spam. Thats the trouble with "intelligent" technology: sometimes its too smart for its own good. I'm pretty sure Phail's idea is a good way to keep this from happening. I think it's set up not to route anything in your address book to the spam folder, unless you specifically have a rule stating otherwise.

Since you posted this, I looked and found a couple of PMs from the board here, but also several bulk type emails that I want and have been receiving-I had not realized they were missing, so its a recent thing. I think that gmail has made some changes as someone else suggested. I'm glad you made this thread in any case.

John

Thanks for the help with this issue Travis....I too had just switched to gmail and had trouble even finding my SPAM folder. When I did the reactivation email from the forum was there. I changed the tag and added admin@xs650.com to my contacts list as well. All seems in order now. Best, Blue

Gmail user here, FYI your forgotten password email notification doesn't even make it to my spam folder. I have gotten other xs650.com related email in the past though. Just thought I would mention it.

Probably unrelated but recently I've been having problems with my handheld Apple products Not receiving my gmail into my devices. I haven't changed anything, but I keep receiving an error message. Not sure what's going on. But frustrating none the less.

Gmail seems to really be cracking down on spam (whether it really is spam or not). I've done everything I can think of on my end to fix this with no solution. Adding admin@xs650.com to your gmail contact list should help.

Marking those emails as never spam will also help. Travis, I'm not sure who's handling your server administration (seems as you own your IP so I would assume you have some thing going on), but if you ever need a hand I made the horrible decision of becoming a sysadmin for a profession.

I am an old ex yamaha Mechanic. 1964--1976 .nice to see there is a following. Still own a '71 XS1B.. What a flash back.have ridden all mod.yamaha to 1976 including some that were never put into production...J Sweet

In gmail you set set a filter so that messages from xs650.com are never marked as spam. Select the offending message, click "more", select "filter messages like these".

Back