Aussie 650 club Racer build

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just thought i would post the link to this build. it is all but finished, well all the interesting stuff.

Note: Just a heads up, The posts in the year links change from the beginning of the page down, to the bottom of the page up

The engine build is something to behold and when it comes down to balancing it shows how much these cranks really do need to have something done to them if your really serious about vibration. kinda makes me think that these 277/270 builds done, and people complain about vibration, even static balancing will give a lot of info on where you need to go.

In the old days you would hear a lot about "Blue Printing" an engine, probably still done for production car racing or series car racing/ Maybe a lot more could be done when rebuilding the XS650 engine to make it run smoother in any form, 360/277/270

Aussie XS650Club Racer

Here is another build that is completely off the planet and all that is left of the XS650 is the cases

Kevs Turbo

*Whew*, those are some heavy reads. Thanx, Skull.

It's fascinating to see such enormous interest in these bikes from halfway across the world.
And, the serious talent in the machining and fabrication.

Then I saw the boxes of KFC and the Pepsi jug.

Now, I feel at home...

No, the engine that was in the Club Racer a few years ago was only on loan, it did not have a kick starter set-up, it was started on rollers. With this new engine the RHS foot peg assembly has been modified so the kick starter can be used.

Can someone say anything about the difference between a 270 and a277 degree cranck
(Don't say its 7 degrees ;-) )
I mean in how it reacts, vibrates etc.

I have the experience with my 270's that they rev very easy and run easely high in revs( up to over 9000 rpm) Jerry v d Heide did my crancks.

From another 650 rider here in the netherlands, i heard his bike was vibrating a lot with a
277 crank!
I haven't been able to compare those cranks by riding them myself.

I seen the turbo build on a site last year . Very detailed work and that is a big turbo for that motor. When was it finished and any pictures or video of it running. One thing I learned about you BRITS detail detail detail VERY COOL:thumbsup:

Can someone say anything about the difference between a 270 and a277 degree cranck
(Don't say its 7 degrees ;-) )
I mean in how it reacts, vibrates etc.

I have the experience with my 270's that they rev very easy and run easely high in revs( up to over 9000 rpm) Jerry v d Heide did my crancks.

From another 650 rider here in the netherlands, i heard his bike was vibrating a lot with a
277 crank!
I haven't been able to compare those cranks by riding them myself.

Haven't tried the differences either as most go for 277 because it's far cheaper to do as you just rotate the right side crank forward 3 pins. As for 270 you have to get new crank pins. 270 is optimum though but very costly to do. From what most say they can't feel any vibration even at 100mph with 277

As Staggers said they are close, 270 is optimum. Jerry does not do 270 conversions anymore, only myself and I have a waiting list of those that want it done to their cranks. And it is not that much more costly to do. Do you set your ignition timing close, do you set your valve clearances close, of course not. So if you are going to rephase your engine for a few hundred dollars more why not go for something that is perfect instead of close.

How well is this going...........broken clutch and still beats a 920 Norton in a Manx frame...........Hill-climbing the best way

Stacy's hillclimb01.jpg Stacy's hillclimb02.jpg Stacy's hillclimb03.jpg

Back