Australian 1975 XS650 Bobber Build.

rusty577

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys n girls Im new here and thought Id start a thread dedicated to my project. I will post as many pictures as I can. Also Im located in Australia QLD.

Anyway Ive picked up a 1975 XS650 Yamaha. Shes's a bit ruff but I got it dirt cheap and its 98% all there, also looks like it has an aftermarket rear wheel.

I bought it off a bloke that bought it from his mates sister and then it sat in one of his shipping containers for 15yrs. Apparently the sister had a side cart on it, he also said he was going to try and hunt up some pictures of it in its hay day with it running the side cart which would be cool to see.

Unsure of where Im gunna go with this so looking for any ideas. Im planning to keep it a soft tail but possibly lower the rear end/shocks. Will also have to be a two seater for the misses.

First off I plan to restore and put a kit through the carbies, hook the exhaust back up, new oil/fuel and see if she runs... Its got plenty of compression so Im hoping its all good.

Id just like to make sure the motor runs before stripping the bike down to the frame for powdercoating/painting.

Where is the best place to get a carbie rebuild kit? I guess Ill have to do some searching.

One thing you guys may be able to help with is im missing the left hand side exhaust flange that bolts to the engine head and clamps the header pipe to the head. I will need one asap so I can see if she fires up. If anyone one has any spare Id be very appreciative.

Here are the pictures of the old girl.... Still havent given her a name... lol

sx650_zpsa7248836.jpg

sx650-2_zps53c214c5.jpg

sx650-3_zpsd3a08fdc.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I usually use my camera but was in such a rush this arvo I used my shitty camera phone.

Hey, and welcome to the site.

I live up north between Cairns and Townsville.

There is an Australian club and they are represented in Brisbane, actually it is Aussie wide but originally come out of Sydney and it is really strong and has some good contacts.

Your bike has a 16" rear wheel from a Special II, they come out in 79-80-81 and were for the US market but a few have made their way over here and used on other models.

Be careful using shock that are to short if your going to carry the misses around, either bottom out or be a harsh ride.
Check out the sticky in the Garage for ID'ing of the different models and there is probably some other info that will help your getting started.

Tech menu has a lot of good info.

Parts are hard to get here or the prices can reflect the availability, or lack of.

PM sent.

Thanks for the tips mate and I have checked out the Australian Club. Ill eventually join once I hear back from them.

Are you sure the rear wheel is off a special?? I was told it was a Harley 16" rim laced to a xs650 hub. I just noticed that a few of the spokes are broken and of course the rest are rusty. Id like to either get it relaced or do it myself (never done it myself)

Thanks for the comments guys... and your right the more I look at it the more I like it as it is lol.

If I was to rat it I wouldn't bother pulling it right down to pain the frame.... Spray the tank and covers a matte dark colour.... Just not sure what to do.

Donno if I want the rat look or mild custom.

Anyway... Today I got stuck into the carbs and gave them a strip down, clean/soda blast and then all back togethers. Here some pictures of todays efforts.

Next thing on the list to get her started is im missing one exhaust flange that bolts the exhaust to the head. Would anyone have a spare one? Ive been looking all over the joint.

Also looking for a decent set of 34mm fork tubes.

CAM00020_zps23c3fa2c.jpg

CAM00029_zps9ca27d19.jpg

CAM00030_zps76f3f1fd.jpg

YAY... I think Ive got good spark on both pots :). I found a bad wire between the coil and points. Also gave the points a good clean and adjusted them.

I spent the morning changing the oil and cleaning the oil filters. I noticed there was a few metal shavings on the casing filter and a bit on the magnets in the sump filter.

Also at some stage the sump filter has had a repair to the common problem spot. Both these filters will be replace, Im just doing thing things to fire her up and see what the engines like.

CAM00058_zpscbc8cd7e.jpg

CAM00060_zps2ea3c782.jpg

CAM00062_zps1899a683.jpg

Also did a compression test with a old gauge thats rubber seal had perished. both pots had 110psi possibly more with a good gauge.

I will get a video of the first start up....

Just need an exhaust and I can fire her up.

Anyone got one lay around 8)

Another problem I came across when removing the gear shifter that was lose was the output shaft spines have been stripped somewhat. Also some butcher of a person has drilled down the side of the shifter while it was on and banged a pin in to jam it tight. ahh what people do. From what I have read the shaft is easy to replace once the clutch is removed. I might look at a semi quikc fix for it if the motor turns out to be ok and fix it properly down the track when the engine needs a freshen up.

Well bit of a update.

I had an eventful day. I had a day free and Ive been itching to get her started to hear the condition of the motor.

Id been tossing up weather to check the cam chain tentioner and this morning after plumbing up a cr80 fuel tank I had laying around & I thought Id better just check it and the timing one last night.

I pulled the tentioner right out to check its parts BIG MISTAKE. Stupid me tried to turn the motor over without the tentioner and it split teeth on the cam chain. Lets just say I had to walk away from the bike for a bit :twisted:

Anyway after two attempts at jiggling the crank into the right position with the tentioner removed again I was finally able to set it correctly again.

Feeling a little better I timed the points again to fire between the F marks on the flywheel. Got some fuel in here, gave her a few squirts of start ya bastard and on the 3rd kick after a backfire on the 2nd she fired into life and LIVES AGAIN and man does she sound mean with open headers with a few flames out the exhaust (needs mixture tuning)

I only ran the engine for a minute or two, but sounded very strong. I had to rush off home so I will have to give it a tune in the morning and put a timing light on her to make sure its on the sweet spot.

I got some gopro footage of the start up that I will edit and upload.

I got a few problems to sort out tomorrow. I have a fuel leak and I think its coming from the cross over pipe on the carbies the brass barb is loose in the housing, also I noticed one screw on one of the bowls is stripped and wont tighten down tight. I need to fix the mixtures on the carbies and put a timing light on while shes running. Currently I have 2 full turns out from shut on the mixture, need to look up the standard settings for a 75 it was shooting flames every now and again so Im thinking it may be a little rich.

Other then the flames ran nice and held an idle not even any smoke out the exhaust 8)

Video of the first startup in 15 yrs :yikes:

Got a bit of a problem I noticed the left cylinder and exhaust getting extremely hot compared to the right that is hot but normal hot if you get what I mean.

It was running on 2 turns out of both mixture screws but in the carb guide it says a 75 xs650b needs .075 or 3/4 turn on the mixture. So she would of been running super rich. Also the carb boot on the left cylinder looked cracked and sus. Could a vac leak make the cylinder run hot?

Posted via Mobile

Well here are the efforts of today took a few pictures along the way.

Got her down the a bare frame

CAM00084_zpse57483c6.jpg

CAM00090_zps33280f7b.jpg

Got the wheels off and I hope someone can tell me exactly what they are. The front is alloy with a decent lip at 19" and the rear is steel 16" I want to respoke both with SS spokes and have the rear re chromed.

CAM00085_zps53b9e119.jpg

CAM00086_zps62cccb90.jpg

CAM00087_zps4e0412d2.jpg

Where is the best place to buy spokes is there only mikesxs

Posted via Mobile

A while ago i chased up Spoke suppliers through the net, overseas and here in Aus.

Rang a few of the suppliers here and if your interested in paying $120 per set and up to $180 for Stainless, if not then you will have to chase overseas.

There is a guy in Sydney, Peter Kommer, and he charges about $60 per set but unless you can pay direct into his bank they become really expensive if doing COD. I made that mistake and in the end it cost me $170 for 2 sets of spokes. Would have been cheaper from Mikes.

Probably still worth talking to him. Posted a link to the Aussie 650 club previously and Peter is in the Traders section.

If you join the club and find other members in your area, they may be able to help out and know of some cheaper local outlets.

I would keep her as is! Get a smaller seat, not the big chunky stock ones, a lick of paint and you're good to go!!

Not sure about spokes in Oz mate, best see if one of the locals on this forum can help you out on that.

I have the same front wheel on mine, but an 18' on the rear. I do not know what the are off though.

Keep building man! It's not about how many people reply, it's about the build experience and sharing it! I'll be watching!! :)

Bit of a update.

Frame is almost ready for paint. I just need to remove the standard seating/lock bits and pieces for the custom seat. Im going for a low look without major modification to the frame.

Also what model is this front guard off?

CAM00093_zpsf3a676a9.jpg

CAM00094_zps7d5c05cb.jpg

CAM00095_zpsfaa8205b.jpg

Ive almost got all the pieces that are going to be satin black ready for paint. Im going to use protec 2pak satin black. Hopefully it turns out well, Ive sprayed alot of acyclic lacquer but not much 2pak. Lucky the old boys a pro and will be watching over....

Also I think Ive decided against chroming the rear fender and rear rim. I think I might do them a gun metal grey to possibly match the tank Im still not sure. Ive got some candy apple green with gold pearl left over from my EH I could even use that :shock: I need idea's.....

Posted via Mobile

Back