Autolite Iridiums - Junk?

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I started using Autolite Iridium in the fall, and since then I've killed 2 plugs. I'm using the stock coil/s originally on points, now a stock dual coil on PAMCO.

I was having trouble with getting the bike to run on the right side cylinder only, and sure enough while doing a timing test with the light, the Autolite Iridium was firing erratically.

It actually has done this once before, right when I got the plugs.

These plugs aren't expensive, but they aren't cheap either, and I don't want to keep replacing them if they are junk.

So, is it the plugs, or the bike?

PHeller, I don't think a stock dual coil, especially with resistor caps, will make enough juice to fire iridium plugs sufficiently. I found this to be the case when I replaced a damaged high output coil with a lower voltage one, but tried to continue using iridium plugs; cold running was markedly compromised because of the lower voltage and resistor caps. Pete (of PAMCO) concurred with this when I asked about it. A return to stock plugs and gap seems to have solved the issue.

Try using stock plugs and the stock gap of .028 and see what you are dealing with.

TC

I didn't know Autolite made Iridium plugs. The ones I use are Platinum tipped.
Never had one fail yet. The Autolite AP63 at Wal Mart are less than $5 a pair.
Leo

Yep, they are Autolite XP63 Iridium, and cost between $6-$8 a pop.

I think the plugs are fine, but TeeCat's correspondance with Pete probably identified my problem. I'll save these expensive jobbies for when I get the more powerful coil.

Back