Avoiding clutter on the site

kelso

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I don't want to clutter up the site with random questions so I thought I would ask what is best.

Now that I have my two donor bikes I am going to start a build. Should I create a build thread and ask all of my questions there or ask each one in a separate thread. For instance I bought two bikes, one points the other electronic ignition. I am wondering if I can swap the electronics from one to the other. I need to figure out the difference between the $80 K&N pod filters and the $20 generic set on ebay, and what jets to use, etc. Is it best to put that all in one thread or separate for each.

I have a million questions and I am hoping to get many of them answered when my Haynes and Clymer manuals show up. In the meantime I have been using the search function a lot. The trouble is the when you search for a term you get a million threads that are not related to what you are looking for. You can look for hours and not get your questions asked. when you are a newbie that can add up quick :banghead:

Most people use their build threads to show people what they've done and ask for suggestions on design type things, but aren't really asking for help with technical questions. They start specific threads for technical questions for things they can't find by searching. Remember to use both search tools since they work differently and if you start a thread for a technical question, describe the problem well, what you've tried, the history of the bike, and things like that... the more detail the better.

Having said that, some people ask their technical questions right in their build threads and seem to get a decent response. If you do this, make sure you don't ask the same questions in your build thread and again in another thread.

In the end, it's really up to you how you want to do it. Eventually you'll find what works best for you.

Also take a good look through tech, most of the common problems and procedures are addressed there and the info is "distilled" without the long post thread that often wanders around a bit before getting to the point.

Good call Gary. After asking some questions last night I was directed to the Tech section where I realized that a lot of them had already been answered. I will spend a lot of time there before moving on.

BTW, I ended up picking up that other bike we talked about. I couldn't get a compression test done but I am hopeful that she will fire off. Right now I have $250 total in the two bikes so I am feeling pretty good about it.

Two for 250 sounds like a deal to me. Good luck on the carbie work. Remember like a doctor your first duty is to do no harm! Uhh where's my chisel??? A popular carb soak often advocated by yours truly is warm to kinda (but not real) hot Pinesol. I get a gallon of house brand and a crock pot makes a nice heater.....

Two for 250 sounds like a deal to me. Good luck on the carbie work. Remember like a doctor your first duty is to do no harm! Uhh where's my chisel??? A popular carb soak often advocated by yours truly is warm to kinda (but not real) hot Pinesol. I get a gallon of house brand and a crock pot makes a nice heater.....

Can you imagine my wife's reaction when she comes in to find my carburetors soaking in a crockpot full of Pinesol:laugh:

This might be my last post:yikes:

Back