axle bolt to long

Terryk

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I cut my stock 81 special II frame and welded a tc hardtail. the wheel and spacers fits perfect. The chain tensioners and axle dont fit right. the axle bolt is way to long. and hangs out to far. Dont no what to do. Can someone please help me?

still got your old swing arm? Hold it up to the rear of the axle plates of your new hardtail. Is the width between the axle plates exactly the same? You may need some extra spacers. I used 3/4 in washers.

You need to either fill the space with washers or do what I did and buy a plate to make up the difference. I believe the username for the person I bought mine from is Travis. He should have a post somewhere in the shops section of the forum. He makes a weld on spacing plate to correct the issue. Worked perfect for me!

I ran into the same issue. I had a machine shop cut it down tapped the end n put a bolt on it.

If you look at your swing arm and measure the thickness of the axle plates you will find them about 3/8 inch thick. On your hardtail the axle plates are about 1/4 inch thick.
They make the axle plates 1/4 inch thick becuase the early, 70-73 bikes had 1/4 inch thick axle plates. If they made them thicker the early axles would be to short.
Just get a hand full of 3/4 inch washers. Put one under the head of the axle and one under the nut. Tighten it down. If it tightens down ok then run it. If it doesn't tighten down ok, add another washer under the head and nut.
Leo

Thanks alot guys. the washers did the trick. One less thing to worry about now i just gotta figure out how to install my mid control

Back