B17 Flying Fortress Mi Amigo memorial story today.

...especially the Mk XVIII “tse-tse” anti-shipping variant that carried a 57mm automatic cannon along with its 4x.303 Browning m/c guns. There are several great videos on the web of Mk. XVIII attacks.

I’d wager that it was not fun to be on the receiving end of that...

upload_2019-1-10_6-17-27.jpeg

And let’s not forget the anti-tank Hawker Hurricane Mk. ID that packed TWO 40mm Vickers “S” guns. Normally deployed in the western desert, that old gal could really open up a panzer...
upload_2019-1-10_6-34-50.jpeg

upload_2019-1-10_6-36-22.jpeg

...especially the Mk XVIII “tse-tse” anti-shipping variant that carried a 57mm automatic cannon along with its 4x.303 Browning m/c guns. There are several great videos on the web of Mk. XVIII attacks.

I’d wager that it was not fun to be on the receiving end of that...

]

imagine being hit by that thing ! :eek: awesome speed and fire power for a wooden aircraft

Jerry Yagen.... the man who signed my paychecks for 15yr. had this Mosquito... KA114 restored to flying condition. Turn it up. ;)

That's a cool vid, Jim. Thanx.

Swapping hands to work the gear and flaps. A busy place.

Never really took notice of the squashed exhaust headers before. Wonder if there's a story behind that. Noise reduction?

Then, found this vintage pic. Shrouded exhaust...
DehavillandMosquito.jpg

Beautiful. The only thing nicer to hear than a Merlin....is two Merlins. Jim - did you ever get to work on the Mosquito? One of my former grad students works for Roush Industries in Livonia Michigan. Aside from all their automotive and aerospace work, Roush is one of the largest rebuilders of RR Merlins and RR Griffons in the world. At any given time, they usually have a dozen or more engines going through their shop for vintage aircraft folks, boat racers etc. from all over the world.

If you really want a good read about WW-2 and later aircraft and what they were really like to fly - look for books by Capt. Eric “Winkle” Brown.

Brown was a Royal Navy test pilot, but he was also perfectly fluent in German and his dad was a businessman who travelled to Germany often in the 1930s taking along young Eric. Thus, Eric Brown met Ernst Udet, Hermann Goering and all of the other prominent German aviation people when he was a teenager before the war.

At the outbreak of the war, he joined the RN and flew various fighters and then joined the Test Flight at Boscombe Down (the British counterpart of Edwards AFB). At the end of the war, he was the Cheif Allied pilot who flew most of the captured Axis aircraft back to the west. He flew them all from the tiny He162 Volksjager to the Me262 to all of the German bombers plus all of the Japanese aircraft too as well as many modern types including the Hawker Hunter, F86 Sabre, and the F4 Phantom. In fact Brown flew more different types in his career than any other pilot in history and he is a superb author as well. He just died in the last year or so at the age of about 96.

His (he wrote six in all, I think) books are still widely available and are absolutely top notch reads. If you cannot find them in a bookstore - check out www.abebooks.com. One of the books pits one fighter against another (and Brown had flown all of them) - even if the two planes never actually met in combat. For example, in Duels in the Sky, he discussed the likely outcome of a match between the Corsair and Hellcat and the Me109 and Fw190 or the Japanese Zero versus the Fw190....fascinating.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
To think all 3 of the Flying de Havilland Mosquito's restorations have been done in NZ.

Jerry Yagen's, (Jims mate),........the first flying restoration and the only one in the world at the time
http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/worlds-flying-mosquito-flew-today.html

Parts for the second..........Click on the Utube vid for some beautiful flying.........Makes the hair on my neck stand up
http://www.warbirdsonline.com.au/2014/02/11/de-havilland-mosquito-restorations-in-new-zealand/

The third......This plane was used by the CIA at one time..........80,000 man hours
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new...n-wonder-bomber-resurrected-auckland-airfield.

The peoples Mosquito.
http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/the-peoples-mosquito-project-update-february-2018.html

Last edited:
We have a Mosquito being restored right here in Windsor, ON Canada but I don’t think they intend to fly it. We also have a Lancaster that was taken down off a pylon in the city park that will not fly, but it will run and taxi around. To replace the Lancaster when it was taken down for the restoration, the City of Windsor purchased full size display replicas of the Hawker Hurricane and the Supermarine Spitfire to commemorate all the local folks who flew during WW-II

That place in NZ certainly does superb work on a huge range of a/c. - it is truly an amazing business those folks have built!

Jim - did you ever get to work on the Mosquito?
Never did Pete. A couple of my students went back east to work for him... So I'm sure they have. Jerry gave me a dvd video on the restoration. It's about an hour long. I'll see if I can find it.

Back