Back at it

stfu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured I'd put up an intro thread since I'm just getting back into motorcycles again.

Had a stock 81' 650 in High School many moons ago and wanted to start riding again. So I searched CL and found two to build 75' and 80'. Needless to say I have a bit to learn on the build side.... Looking at a nice Bobber/Chopper idea I have. 4" stretch and 34 degree rake with a springer set up. I saw GordonScotts ride and it's got me really considering doing the other at 40 degrees and leaving the triple trees on for the second bike (clean bike). After seeing/researching the 277 rephase and such.... I think I am gonna be broke for a bit with Hugh... might have to sell a kidney :yikes:

If anyone is into guns thats what I do, so drop a line if you like to shoot.

Nate

This-thread-is-useless-without-pictures.gif

Squeezepenny.jpg

Here she is.... 1975 XS650. Rode her around for a bit and saw a sign for a local town in Texas called Squeezepenny.... thought it would make a great name for the project.

Hey,
First, I appreciate your username. It captures a certain energy, very motorcycle-esque. Gordon Scott is a great inspiration to start with, check out his website if you haven't already been, Gordon Scott Engineering. He makes some beautiful stuff, the XS community is lucky to have him.

I shoot. I do small bore (practice on .177 air rifles, comp in .22lr) on my college team. I picked up a Marlin 925 a few years ago, put a Nikon 3-9x scope and Harris bipod on it, stuff I'll jump up to a bigger caliber when I have the money. I would love to start pushing my distance but I love being able to hang out with my friends and plink all day, 300 rounds or more, without feeling it in my wallet. So I'll stick to rimfire for the time being. I also shoot some handgun, I have my grandfather's Colt Officer's Model .22lr. Someday I'll buy one of these, IMO the most beautiful handgun.

Depending on the firearm and how Squeezepenny you can be, you can reload for it and shoot for less than the cost of rimfire.
Leo

With the right shopping around you can get set up with just the basics for under $100.
Lee has a hand press that uses standard dies. Midway price $41 for the kit. There die sets come with reloading info and a dipper. Midway prices for the Pacesetter 2 die sets start at $28.99
I have used the Lee products for years. Good stuff at good prices. It will get you started and if you think you want more costly tools later you can.
Ebay might save you a bit, sime times you can get a deal on used tools.
Leo

Back