Back in the XS club again! 73 TX

Saggs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/ATTACH]
Trying to attach pics of a 73 TX I just picked up. Pretty much all stock. I had a 75 XS back in 83' until some pyro burned it and my apartment. This one needs some tlc and currently has no spark. Looking forward to using all the knowledge on the XS forum. The long winters in VT will give me plenty of time to get it ready for spring.:)

Attachments

• 73 XS 650 001.jpg
    73 XS 650 001.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 73 XS 650 002.jpg
    73 XS 650 002.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 110
Welcome back to the wonderful world of the TX/XS650.
On the no spark I might check the battery, full charge. Points, gap and timing.
I might just go through the tune up, in order, cam chain tension, valve clearance, point, gap and timing. Oil change and filters check and clean, repair the sump filter as needed.
Maybe even a good carb cleaning, www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Reading through the TECH section up at the top of the page.
Leo

Rockin' vehicals ya got there. I'm a big fan of both marques.

Nice lookin bike. But...
More pics of that Type 1!. :laugh:
I had to sell my last one when I got divorced :banghead:. She was an Ivory '59 Standard with a swapped in 1600 single port, slammed, with polished wide 5 Empi replicas. I loved her 'cept for the damned non-syncro'd 1st gear.

Love my XS, but the aircooled VW Beetle will always be my first love. I've owned 5, miss them all, but none more than my '59.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of the TX/XS650.
On the no spark I might check the battery, full charge. Points, gap and timing.
I might just go through the tune up, in order, cam chain tension, valve clearance, point, gap and timing. Oil change and filters check and clean, repair the sump filter as needed.
Maybe even a good carb cleaning, www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Reading through the TECH section up at the top of the page.
Leo

Leo, I put new points and condensers in but had a hard time getting the timing set up. I have a pretty good spark on both cyls but all i can get w/ a little ether is an occaisional backfire. I wonder if the cam chain jumped a tooth and my valve timing is messed up? I checked the chain tension and it looks fine but I have yet to pull the valve covers.

Nice lookin bike. But...
More pics of that Type 1!. :laugh:
I had to sell my last one when I got divorced :banghead:. She was an Ivory '59 Standard with a swapped in 1600 single port, slammed, with polished wide 5 Empi replicas. I loved her 'cept for the damned non-syncro'd 1st gear.

Love my XS, but the aircooled VW Beetle will always be my first love. I've owned 5, miss them all, but none more than my '59.

That's a 56 ragtop I've been working on for the last 5yrs. I've got a dual webber worked over 1.7 914 motor I'm gonna put in it. i've converted the motor to upright cooling and have a built tranny for it, just need time.....

I also have a daily driver (summer time) 67 westy camper. I'll try to shoot you some pics of both. I bet that 59 of yours was a nice rig. I can't wait!!

When you replaced the points you may have inadvertently hooked the right coil to the left points and left coil to right points. Try just swapping plug wires left to right.
If this makes it run, you might want to follow the wires from the points up to where they plug into the coil/condenser wires and swap them there.
Not an uncommon thing to do.
On the timing it's all in the repair manual. Page 20 of the Clymer book. Details it pretty well. Just be sure to do the right set first.
Leo

Leo, you're the man. I swapped the plug leads and she fired up but not running too well on the left cylinder. Everything sounded pretty good and no clouds of blue smoke or other funk:thumbsup: I'll go thru it w/ the manual step by step and get it tuned up. Now that I heard her fire and run I'm psyched to proceed!!

Sweet! I ws always tempted to go the Type IV conversion route, but never did. If I ever get another one I'll grab up a Super and throw a EJ20T in it... I know, I know, it'll be an abomination, but hey, its only a Super.

Glad to hear you got the XS running, lookin forward to seeing the progress on it. I like your taste in rides.

Sweet! I ws always tempted to go the Type IV conversion route, but never did. If I ever get another one I'll grab up a Super and throw a EJ20T in it... I know, I know, it'll be an abomination, but hey, its only a Super.

Glad to hear you got the XS running, lookin forward to seeing the progress on it. I like your taste in rides.

[/ATTACH] Just a couple more shots of my 56 and the type 4 motor going into it. Sorry, i know this isnt a VW site. I'll make this quick and get back to the XS stuff next time. Thanks for your patience:)

Attachments

• IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 66
Not exactly sure how this works but I have had interest in VW's for years. Currently own a '57 and '70. Older one is nearly bone stock with a warmed over 40 H.P. engine behind a "crash box". Newer one has been heavily massaged - leather interior, killer stereo, 2110, mild body mods, suspension upgrades, trick tranny and so forth. It all started after I crashed my Sporty and didn't know if I'd be able to ride again. The answer seemed to be a 3 wheeler? Bought a '59 VW and had so much fun with it I never took it apart. That started it all................Wesley

Back