Backroader's 1978 XS Special - "For your eyes only"

Seems as though there is a huge difference in insurance between provinces in Canada. Manitoba and Ontario appear to be very expensive. I pay $125/year for the bike (liability only),here in Alberta, but interestingly that is from RBC insurance based in Toronto.

Yeah, I used to insure a 900 Seca for the same amount in Edmonton. In Ontario, we have to purchase mandatory accident benefits with every policy to cover medical expenses, rehab, loss of income and death/funeral expenses. Then on top of that there is a blanket policy of charging more per cc, bigger bike = bigger premium. Then there's the whole 25 year old bike policy, and no coverage for 30 year old bikes except vintage insurance (as far as I know at the moment). It really is a rich man's hobby here, and a couple of dealerships have cited insurance premiums and the loss of ridership as factors in their closing shop.

First time posting so not sure how to do this. Looking at buying a 1978 XS650 special. What is Special about the special. Guy is asking 1900.00 for a rough bike. I want to hardtail and build a chopper. Is this a good start or are the older ones better. I think older ones had the better carbs. I would have prefeered spokes wheels.

Canada is going on. I think either it's a sin tax for riding a bike, or insurance on a bike up there actually covers something besides what you HIT!

I defer to the gentlemen from the North to tell us which!

Back