bad first gear

nlovern

possom man
Reaction score
Hi,
Nathan lovern here. Im going to be getting my 82 XS650 next week from my brother and the first gear is messed up in it
I was wondering if anyone had a gearset for a 82 (or will any year fit???) that they would part with cheaply. I looked on ebay and most gear sets i see around $100 or more.
Can the bottom half of the engine case be taken off without taking the whole topend appart?
The XS motor looks like a bigger version of an old R5 or RD 350 motor. Im very fimular with thees motors and can take one of them apart blindfolded. (I have a 71 DS7 250 I ride daily).
Thanks
Nathan Lovern,Va

I don't have any gears for you,but to answer your question. Yes, you can turn the engine over and fix your transmission without messing with your top end. Just be carefull not to drop anything. About 20 yrs ago getting ready for a weekend run, I spent the night removing the engine, ripping off the bottom half of the crankcase, swapped out the tranny shafts(second gear was noisy) with a spare set I had gotten, reinstalling engine. Decided to update the swingarm bushings, so did all that involved. Got it running and tuned up and caught a couple hrs of sleep before the run. Those were the days.

Make sure it's the gears before you pull it apart. There can be some simple issues with the shift lever ratchet springs inside the clutch side cover.

Back