bad fuel filters from mikes xs

leggers

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I like Mikes, but I've gone through two of these fuel filters already. They leak like a sieve. Stay away...

XidLA8g.jpg

Same thing happened to mine from mikes, mine turned yellow and melted. Just like those. I'm guessing its the fuel around here.

I have had zero issues with mikes fuel filter, all six of them, I actually prefer them, but i also wont put ethanol fuel in my cycles. Don't be cheap by, non-ethanol fuel... mikes does have a lot of junk though, i just don't think these belong in the junk category.

yep, that one from mikes didn't last long for me either. i just recieved the one in rg's photo and i noticed it says 'made in usa' so hopefully it works out.

dakota- i wish i could buy fuel without ethanol, unfortunately that is all that is available around my area.

Ouch! That sucks people cant buy petrol without ethanol in it! I live in a big snow mobile area in the badlands and so they carry 92 octane here in town so i just put that in all my bikes.

Mikesxs sells a lot of sub standard parts (cheap is another word), and those filters are crap for sure.

www.650central.com sells good quality fuel filters, such as in the picture.

Hey all! New here but been into bikes for 30+yrs. I've used those 90degree cone filters that retiredgentleman is showing for a long time. ONLY ones I'll use that don't melt or fall apart plus the local chop shop has them on the wall for 3.50 each. I buy locally and I usually keep 6-8 on hand in my shop/garage for my stable of bikes.
Seems like the round hockey puck ones melt too but these ones hold up very well.
I'll post an intro in another thread.
Rabbit

I have one, but I only use it for my small home made gas tank I use for tuning carbs. No issues yet, but I wont be surprised if it melts.

I've actually had better luck since, by just using lawn mower in-line filters you can get at the hardware store. I don't know if its because of the ethanol or lack of ethanol that is causing mikes filters to melt but at any rate I wouldn't recommend them. I buy premium for the 650 because the octane in reg has come down in the past 20 years when the bike was made... I know that most gas you get now contains around 10% ethanol whether you like it or not.

Back