bad ultimate coil?

mrkil

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I pulled out the trusty multimeter and had a look at my ultimate coil to see if it was the reason I'm getting no spark.

The first test was across the primaries setting at x1 and I have a closed circuit. The same reading I would get if I touched both probes together.

If I set the meter to x1k to test between the primaries and the plug wire holes I get no needle movement at all.

toast?

mrkil,

Well, did you disconnect the wires from the primary before you took your reading? To get an accurate reading of the primary resistance, you have to not have anything connected to the coil.

Pete...click on the image mrkil posted...it's a link to his photobucket video...he's bench testing the coil, it's right next to the meter on the bench., and I'd say it's toast.

Pete...click on the image mrkil posted...it's a link to his photobucket video...he's bench testing the coil, it's right next to the meter on the bench., and I'd say it's toast.

Well, not exactly. The needle goes way past the end of the scale. It's not zeroed. An analog meter like the one he is using has to be zeroed before taking a measurement.

To zero the meter, you hold the two test probes together and use the little thumb control on the left to set the needle to zero Ohms. You can see the needle fly way past zero in his video.

Yeah I have tried to zero the meter but it seems the old girl won't go.

I can zero it in the x1k but not 10 or 1

Looks like i'll bust out the contact cleaner for the old girl and if that doesn't work I'll have to step into the 80's and get a digital one.

mrkil,

Well, the zero setting may be different for each range, so you have to be able to zero it in the range that you want to use.

Yeah I picked up a digital and I'm good with 3.5 across the primaries.

I have a question on your test procedure though.
When you say primary to core you men where the plug wire goes correct?

Well in desperation of getting this bike running I have put the original points and condenser set up back on and have a very nice spark.

I'll try this just to get it running and figure out whats going on with the pamco later.

Thanks for the help guys

Success! She runs!

Needs the carbs balanced and final adjustment but I'm very happy. I can now set out to figure out what the issue is with my Pamco.

So good news. I reinstalled the pamco an double checked everything. The issue was not with the Pamco but the ground wire from the battery to the frame had a break in it.

The wire was salvaged from the bikes old loom, just as a temp ground wire.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
I put the pamco in and it starts fist kick and purrs like a kitten.

Video to come.

Last edited:
Back