Baffles and Pipes. .. Sound Tuning.

cleoncleon

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey, dudes.. .
Im looking to make my bike a bit quiter..
I remember what it sounded like with the stock headers w/ NO Muffler and man was this thing to loud, especially running it up and down the residential street trying to tune the carbs out..

Now I got a set of high pipes that I made, these ones. . .

MINEMINES_zpsf1118a98.jpg

*I would like to make the #1 cylinder pipe a bit longer, maybe another 8 - 12 inches.
And the #2 cylinder 4 - 8 inches. They are 1 1/2" tubes.

With that being said, I realize longer pipes will help a bit, but still without baffles, they just move the loud note further behind me. Traffic will still hear the same loud note... .

My main goal here is to get rid of the high pitch open pipe sound, and that "rat dat dat dat dat" / negative pressure sounding sound on deceleration. .

1. Any suggestions on baffles? I've seen a few styles, the typical inserts and as well as others.. Look at this one Ive been seeing on eBay of late.. any tried it? looks cool.. What do the regular baffle inserts we see sound like?

Baffladge_zps8bbad0a5.jpg

2. I think I'd want to wrap the baffles in some sort of packing, .. Ive herd steel wool, but that degrades over time.. as well as fiberglass. . If thats all that is left to me to use, any tips?

3. What difference does it make in terms of where one positions the baffle? Waht are the pros/cons of moving the baffle further up within the pipe?

*And don't suggest mufflers please! I got those for another build, the way the pipes sit here, Id like to maintain that line, Mufflers will require the pipes to be more spread apart from the way they sit closely to one another right now, as you can see.

-Cle

Good write up man; but I'd read that long ago, many times, through and through.. I've tried a few, have had some okay ones, but.. Just wondering if there are any other methods or quick solutions.. . placement of baffles and pipe length affect sound/power, lookin for some insight from other builders that may have tried some of these already. such as yourself.. .

Back