Most of us use the 1.5" O.D. headpipes. True, they're not 1.5" on the inside but they are larger than the stock ones so they flow better. Mate those to the 1st muffler in your list, the 1.5" inlet Commando. This original Commando sounds wonderful, a little louder than stock but not too loud. Best sounding muffler I've found so far.

Sporty mufflers are great, I got a free pair and put one on the 2into1 OEM header on my wife's 360 Honda twin. It sounds fantastic and throaty but not obnoxious.
Yep, and when you want to change things up a little, there is a baffle midway into the muffler that can be removed. You'll know it's there because you won't be able to see through the muffler. Knock the baffle out with a piece of galvanized pipe and a 3 pound sledge.

One more question: My bike is a Special, and as anyone with a Special will tell you, it has a rather large centerstand. Removing the centerstand is a dealbreaker for me, as the centerstand just makes working on the bike so much easier! Will this exhaust interfere with my center stand?

You'll be fine with that selection, though I'd get the muffs with the 1 1/2" id instead of the reducers.
Finned clamps most likely come with the headers.
Check the ad to see if muffler clamps come with the muffs, if not get a pair.
It's not a bad idea to get a pair of head pipe to head gaskets too.
Center stand will be fine.

As NJ said, get the other Commando mufflers, the ones with 1.5" inlets. That way they will fit the headpipes without the need for any reducer sleeves. Those reducer sleeves always leak. The headpipes come with flanged collars. The only issue with the centerstand will be you'll need to provide a "bumper" of some sort to pad it when it's up, so it isn't "clanging" against the muffler. All I do is slip some heater hose on the tang. Simple solution and it works well .....

QOF59xn.jpg

JWV1MX3.jpg

You'd be sorry if you got those shorty mufflers. They would be way, way too loud.

Looking in the end, you should see a baffle plate with a nut welded to it. You should have also gotten two large short Allen bolts to plug the hole .....

nOktOdH.jpg

You can run without the plug bolt, in which case the exhaust note will be a bit louder .....

90nRyWB.jpg

..... or you can install the Allen bolt "plug" .....

ytbsvi5.jpg

I tried mine both ways and prefer the sound with the bolt installed. It sounded too raspy without it.

The convention is to specify exhaust pipe size by the outside diameter; thickness of material doesn't make that big a difference in ID. 1.5" OD pipe is optimal. There's been some confusion on this, so here are some things to keep in mind. The diameter of the pipe is tuned to the torque peak of the motor. A larger diameter pipe will be tuned for a torque peak occurring at higher rpm. The length of the pipe is tuned to the power peak of the motor. A shorter pipe will be tuned for a power peak occurring at higher rpm. This isn't something to get all AR over unless you're race tuning; for the street, any header length between ~34" and ~40" is going to work well. Large diameter pipes can be corrected for lower torque peak by installing reducers at the outlet. Go to www.650central.com and look for torque peak optimizers. The reducers don't have to be welded in; I install them with set screws.

Last edited:
Since you asked for specifics, I use 1.75" stainless head pipes with Michael Morse's inserts at both ends. For mufflers, I use 17" Emgo reverse cone shorty megaphones. They're godawful loud out of the box because Emgo sends them out with a narrow little circle of fiberglass around the base of the baffle. If you wrap them with a good grade of muffler glass you'll get an exhaust note that's louder than stock but low and mellow.

I think so, but there's no mystery to it. You can use tape or wire to compress the glass and hold it in place. The tape will burn up, which is fine. I use wire. Muffs will need to be rewrapped every few years. The better the glass, the longer the service life.

Looking in the end, you should see a baffle plate with a nut welded to it. You should have also gotten two large short Allen bolts to plug the hole .....

nOktOdH.jpg

You can run without the plug bolt, in which case the exhaust note will be a bit louder .....

90nRyWB.jpg

..... or you can install the Allen bolt "plug" .....

ytbsvi5.jpg

I tried mine both ways and prefer the sound with the bolt installed. It sounded too raspy without it.

1. I take it the plate doesn’t come out?

2. I take it the exhaust also flows AROUND that plate, and not just through the little hole?

Yes and yes. Sticking the plug bolt in doesn't make a huge difference in sound but I do think it makes the muffler sound better. It takes the rough, raspy edge off the sound. Try it both ways and you'll see what I mean.

Back