Bar End Mirror Q's

rickieh

XS650 Owner
Reaction score
Forgive me if I sound reatrded here but I have a few questions about bar end mirrors and at the moment I know nothing about them

1-how exactly do they mount? do they clamp around the bar or go in it?
2-is it hard to see in them?
3-does the right one turn when you give it some throttle?
4-is it true they vibrate less?

I will give you my personal experience with them

1. It really depends on the mirrors. I have seen them sold that attach both ways.
2. The ones I have are very easy to see in.
3. No. It attaches to the bar not to the throttle tube.
4. Yes. Or at least the ones I have vibrate much less than the subpar master cylinder mounted mirrors I had.

>1-how exactly do they mount? do they clamp around the bar or go in it?
Some clamp to the bar, some have a part that goes inside the bar and a bolt that you tighten that expands inside the bar.

>2-is it hard to see in them?
Cheap ones yes, quality ones No

>3-does the right one turn when you give it some throttle?
If you mounted then weird I suppose, but generally no.

>4-is it true they vibrate less?
Not sure about that one.

I bought a set of cheap bar-end mirrors, labeled as 'Napoleon Style Bar End Mirrors' for like $15. The sucked. Mount was flimsy, mirror wasn't even flat, they vibrated and would not keep their adjustment. I like the look, so I blew the $45 and got the real deal, bar end mirrors made by Napoleon. They mounted great!, keep their adjustment, and everything behind me is clear as day. I Highly recommend the real deal when it comes to these.

99% of them go inside the bars. There are a few styles that clamp around the end.

The cheap ones suck. They vibrate, fall apart, breal easily, etc.

Sometime, you have to trim the throttle tube a little to get them to fit. A hacksaw or Dremel works fine. You'll also most likely have to trim the grips. Use a sharp knife or X-Acto. Most of the time, just slide the controls/throttle sleeve far enough up the bars to clear.

The good ones won't vibrate at all. I've had good luck with the Napolean's. Be sure to get the ones that have rubber on the expanders that fit in the bar(s). I also have some Halcyon mirrors. Expen$ive, but worth every penny. The REAL, CRG brand are supposed to be good, too. There's a reason they cost 2-3 times more than the plastic knock-offs.

got the real deal, bar end mirrors made by Napoleon. They mounted great!, keep their adjustment, and everything behind me is clear as day. I Highly recommend the real deal when it comes to these.
Same experience with me.
Work great.
As for vibration, maybe a little less that the stock ones.

Halcyon bar ends on my CB500.
P1190037Small.jpg

P1190042Small.jpg

CRG copy on my old cafe' racer.
P7030046.jpg

P7030053.jpg

Napolean "Barens" on my old '83.
P7030037.jpg

P7030043.jpg

DUDE!!!! Those are some BEAUTIFUL bikes!! Wow!

Of the square vs round, which would be considered more "classic" for the xs650?

Also, was there one you like more than the other?

Thanks for the inspiration!

You can't beat the Napoleans for the money. The Halcyon's are nicer, but way more expensive. The cheap CRG's actually worked quite well...until they broke. I bought enough pairs that I could've gotten the REAL CRG mirrors. Whatever style you like, go with that.

The one on the clutch grip side of my 500 Honda chopper I have is nice but sits on the underside of the bars & causes me to rubberneck around to get a good look out of it. That's nice though because when the cops are following me around they can tell I'm trying to pay attention to the road hazards around me. Mine used to rattle lose but I quickly fixed that with some RED Locktite & as far as bouncing around--not so bad unless I'm idol too long, which I hate anyway.

Back