Bare metal tank

triniriderz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok got a bit of a issue I have paint stripped and rub down the XS tank and I really like the bare metal look (was gona paint).. The question is has anyone found a solution to help prevent the onset of rust???

I have read, periodic WD-40 wipe down.. Thats ok its cheap..

Clear coat over the bare metal.. Not to happy with this option as rust will form under the coating..

Clear Anodising.. Have no experience with this..

Just let it rust for a true "rat rod" look :bike:..

Any options that have worked for you??

Last edited:
wd-40 all over your crotch, sweet. I'de say leave it bare and tend to it every so often. Cause you're right, it will rust under the clear anyway. Interested to know if there is a solution too.

Leave it bare! scotch bright, light machine oil works great! and bike bright works nice for cleaning you can clear under side and ares you can't get to

Attachments

• IMG_9742.jpg
    IMG_9742.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 504
Hello

I used to have a bare tank on my GSX 1100 - 81. Paraffin oil works really good. Brush it on and then wipe it of with a dry cloth. After that you use wet/dry grit paper or scotch bright the tank. Now you brush on paraffin and wipe it off again.

Notice that if you´ve manage to get a shiny surface on the tank it will get a little dull. You´re never able to keep a real shiny surface with paraffin oil.

Also notice it´s important to grind in the same direction all over the tank. Otherwise the tiny scratchmarks will be even more visible when putting the oil on.

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• Bild 015.jpg
    Bild 015.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 317
My worry is rust spots underneath the coating.. I have read that moisture will be trapped and will case issues after a year or so..

ive never heard of moisture causing a problem by getting under the powdercoat. Clear coating with paint on the other hand is known to have moisture issues on bare metal.

I know lots of guys that have just clear powdercoated frames, and they have never had issues.

Nate of Ardcore Choppers has his frame powdercoated clear, if anyone knows anything about paint, its him.

DSCF0055.jpg

hi guys ... if you prep the tank ...sanded right back to where you feel happy and looks good... ... then wipe it all over with WAX and GREASE remover... let it air dry... then clear coat it ... wax and grease remover is commonly used in spay shops make sure you do not put any of your pinkys on the surface after wards ... it does work and does a great job ... regards oldbiker

If rust forms under powdercoat, (clear or not) will everything that's ever been powdercoated rust out from the underside? I thought that stuff was almost bullet-proof!

You can clearcoat bare metal without it rusting underneath if it is perfectly clean and treated with metal prep. I dont have any trace of rust after 2 years. It really has to be perfectly clean and uncontaminated, like oldbiker said, dont touch it with your hands once it is prepped.

I think I will give it a try with just using a lubricant at first and see what happens.. To be honest a bit of rust would probably add a little summin to the style of the bike anyway..

You can clearcoat bare metal without it rusting underneath if it is perfectly clean and treated with metal prep. I dont have any trace of rust after 2 years. It really has to be perfectly clean and uncontaminated, like oldbiker said, dont touch it with your hands once it is prepped.

I agree. Clearcoat, well done, should not rust underneath, just as paint well done should not rust underneath. Although, clearing bare metal will not look like bare metal. I'd polish it to a finish you like, and oil it, if that's what you want to go for. BTW, I'm not a fan of powdercoat of any kind. I think it's far over rated. Quality paint is just as durable, better looking, and easier to repair. My 2 cents.

See I really like powdercoat and for the quality to price I would find it hard to match esp for things like a top yoke or fork legs..

I have just had a load of stuff done on a little VFR400 NC30 and I really could not tell the difference between the powdercoated fork leg and a brand new oem unit.. And all for a stupidly small sum of money..

I'd go with the clear powder coat. Ask the coater to put it in the oven for a while first and get it nice & dry if you're really worried about rust. Then put on the clear and bake.

To be honest im not loosing sleep over it but I would hate to put a coating on only to have the thing look crappy after a year or so..

I remember at the NEC bike show seeing a bike that had a bare metal tank and some sort of clear coat, rust had formed under the coating and it looked awful..

Back