Barn bike: XS750 Special

zymurgist

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am helping a friend bring an old bike back to life. I could have sworn it was an XS650 when I saw it before... when we looked at it last weekend in his barn (literally!), I was surprised to see that it was in reality a 750 Special. It's all there, but it needs some work. Things I know about right now are:

Front brake calipers are disconnected, reason isn't clear to me
Rear brake pedal is spongy, suspect no fluid
Throttle sticks and doesn't return
Old battery, tires, etc.

I don't know if there are XS750 mavens here (given the name of the website ;) ), but any insight or advice would be appreciated to get this puppy to hunt. I've had a fair amount of experience with classic cars, including air cooled Porsches, but I'm a noob when it comes to motorcycles.

4488363670_17d1eec590_b.jpg

4487715041_76d9e9d096_b.jpg

well.....id say see the main page and go under the "so you just got your xs home" section...pretty much the norm for old bikes needing some love.....

When I pulled in to park a couple of hours ago, there was a xs750 Special there so I got to see the two bikes side by side. The 750 looked pretty cool, a lot like a 650 Special but a little bigger frame. It had gotten a flat black treatment all over. I went in and the owner came out and started it, one easy kick, and it sounded great. I'd take either one.

Back