base gasket leak

Jp34

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hi, just new to this as I was fortunate to pick up a 1977 bike in really good nick, (raedy to ride) for a great price. wasn,t what I was looking for but really glad now I got it. I just took it on a short 20 mile run to see how it went and all was fine but for an oil leak around base gasket. not dramatic but a keak all the same. the bike was laid up for 12 years. do I need to strip it or could I try warming it up and torque heads down and save a lot of bother. any advice would be appreciated. I am in n. Ireland. cheers:thumbsup:

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try a head bolt re-torque. The motor probably needs it anyway. Yamaha used some rubber/metal washers under the four outside large acorn nuts. These cause those acorn nuts to loosen up all the time. The results are head and base gasket leaks. Most of us replace those rubber/metal washers with copper or brass ones .....

ButtonHeads.jpg

Also, use more torque than speced for the 8 large acorn nuts. Spec is 25 or 26 ft/lbs. Torque them to about 30 ft/lbs. Use the stock specs for all the other fasteners.

Absolutely! But also be sure the oil isn't seeping from a worn out O-ring in the cam chain adjuster cover. That condition can mimic a base gasket seep very convincingly.

Back