Basket case 75 motor with starter motor troubles

Maxx

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The short story is that I have an engine in a basket case 75 that hasn't been run for at least 5 years. I was unsuccessful kick starting life into the bike with freshly cleaned carbs, points set roughly, and home made wiring (nothing could go wrong here, right).

After 2 hours of kicking and tinkering, I finally decided to try wiring the starter motor to my battery to make my job a little easier. It made some noises and I could see the kick starter twitch slightly during the attempt but it would not turn the motor over. I am using jumper cables, so I know that the wire size is adequate. There is only one wire coming from the starter so I assume that the starter is chassis grounded/earthed and the one large wire would need to go to the +12V lead of the battery (through the starter relay normally). Also, the starter motor will make noises for a few seconds and then completely stop. If I come back several minutes later it will attempt to turn again for a few seconds before stopping again (thermally protected?).

I do have an extra starter motor that spins when attached to a battery. My question is should I do anything to this other starter before going through all the work of taking out the old starter and putting this other starter motor in the bike? Is there anything else I should look at when the old starter motor is removed?

Oh, one last thing. I had to remove the right-side engine cover to check the clutch assembly before all of this and am uncertain if I put the kick starter gear assembly back in properly. Actually I know it isn't right because the kick starter won't fully return, so I will have to go back in and put some tension on the return spring. I hope this issue isn't related to my problem.

Anyone's help is appreciated!

Your old starter sounds bad, no you don't need to "do anything" to the new starter, but you may need a new seal.

Rather than wasting time on starter replacement, I would investigate why you can't start the bike with the kicker. Do you have spark? Is fuel getting into the cylinders? Are you getting backfires? -- that is an indicator that the points wires are reversed.

The spark plugs do not appear to be wet so I guess I need to go over the carbs more thoroughly and read the forum comments to see if I forgot something.

Back