battery advice

jeffh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys,
I have a problem with popping the fuse that from my battery to the battery side of the ignition. When i just checked the volts on the bike with the bike off it read 13.4 volts. With the bike running i am at 14.6-14.8. I am grounded to the two bolts in back of the motor right near the kick starter.(off the negative side of the battery) I also have the xscharge pma and pamco ignition i am pretty sure its all hooked up correct.
So my main concern is why is the fuse popping? I have a 25 in line fuse now and it blew when i got on it yesterday.(when i was in second then put it in neutral) please chime in with any advise or tips thankyou.

Battery voltage, key off is 13.4, running it's 14.6-14.8. Is that At idle or at higher revs?
As you rev it up the voltage should not go over the 14.6-14.8 volts.
If it does I would check my grounds first. Bad grounds can lead to over charging.
This over charging may be why your blowing fuses.
I might also check the wiring from the fuse to the ignition. A short there will blow fuses.
If your blowing a 25 amp fuse to the ignition you definitely have a problem. Pamcopete reccomends a 7.5 amp fuse for the ignition.
Leo

I had the same problem until I recleaned all grounds. The problem for me on the OEM ignition was the frame ground under the gas tank. No more fuse pops.

Shipper

ok just a little up date.
I fixed the idle and now it sits in the 12's for voltage at idle and when i rev it up it was in the 14's so maybe that was part of the problem and i will also be cleaning the grounds should i just scuff them up with some sand paper?

Yes, sandpaper works well. Scruff them up to clean bare metal. On the wire terminals as well as the frame. Any electrical connection needs clean metal to metal. A bit of grease on the bare metal will help keep the corrosion at bay.
Leo

xsleo,
thanks for responding to this thread i had scuffed it up with sand paper but cant really test it out do to the tropical storm we just had last night. once the streets clear up i will be taking it out and seeing if it works good
Thanks again
Jeff H

You can test those connections with your multi meter. Set it to a low ohm scale. Lets use the negitive battery cable as an example. Touch one probe to the negitive cable at the battery, touch the other probe to any bare metal spot on the frame. I use the stock foot peg mounts. You should get a very low, near zero ohm reading.
This can be done to test any ground. Like a turn signal, touch one probe to battery negitive the other to the turn signal housing.
Leo

ok i have scuffed it up with 600 grit sand paper i think it was my problem because i seen that the motor spot i had it on was painted so i cleaned it up to bare metal like you said. Now i think i can get the rear fender i want and mock it up then tear it down and paint it all up and finally finish the thing!!!!

Back