been asked before

jeffygonewild

Airbrush Artist.
Reaction score
so ive got a 77 xs650. asked this before but lost my old post, cannot find anything I've dug online for 3 days and would like any help. so ive seen multiple bikes but no one explaining it. bottom line here's the question.
kick start only wiring help needed.
capacitor*
Points*
no battery*
tail light*
Headlight*
{NO PAMCO}
ive seen it done.
i know of 2 xs650 choppers that run no battery and no lights. just a capacitor mounted. and i would like to learn this. but i aquire some knowledge. can see multiple videos online but no explanation? everyone that does comment says go pamco. im good on that. got the bike running off the battetry,

Attachments

• KAZA1266.JPG
    KAZA1266.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 133
Gotta have a PMA alternator, all the lights switched off, one kick to charge the cap then another to start. IF everything is happy.

I haven't looked into the specifics but I believe the capacitor is wired in place of the battery. I've bought the PMA kit and reg rec, capacitor. Just haven't gotten that far.

finally got somewhere, im hard at understanding wiring. pamco is not needed. long ago someone smart created the nylon screw mod. ive been trying to use a combine regulator on a Btype setup. the nylon screw mod allows you to use later Atype Reg/rec's. thank god i do not have to spend over 400 $ ive only got 250$ into my build haha

have to have a PMA combined SS Reg/rect. Cant use a factory TCI Reg/Rect with a PMA, or an aftermarket Points model Reg/Rect

I recently bought the kit with the upgraded reg rec, PMA, capacitor, and a puller from Hugh's Handbuilt on sale for just under what the xs charge was without the capacitor.

Jeffy, hes right if you have the factory charging system you're still out of luck.

A factory alternator is a great device but it MUST have a battery to ramp up the charging, as it uses excited field technology like nearly all car/truck alternators.

Back