Belt driven alternator set up? Pics included

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have more info on this bike and it's rad alternator set up? lol who needs a PMA conversion?

Attachments

• RK2_729.jpg
    RK2_729.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 747
Yep, I was going to post it up in the classifieds on here, but I guess that's about as big a plug as you can get!! Maybe on my next XS build? :-D

BigJimmy,

I looked at doing that but installing the alternator low on the front of the engine using the engine mounting bolts and a bracket. You can buy very small alternators that are used on lawn mowers (Cub Cadet) that have the voltage regulator built in for $85

alternator_and0285.jpg

Last edited:
I have done them years ago on Street/drag bikes on GS1100 to take weight off crank for more horsepower. Good one to use and you can find it on ebay is older 84/85 900 Ninja. You can mount it in the front of motor and its small not large like one in video. It worked perfect .Wasn't looking for better charging it was
just so easy to take belt off gain hosepower on motor because had no big weight on crank end and gain more power when drag racing.

I bet that charges much better than the stocker but the install behind the jugs looks like it doesn't belong at all.

Doesn't seem worth while when you can have a custom rewind for $150 or a perm setup for less.

Dude lives by me its still for sale. All I know is he cut a whole in the cover and found a pulley to press on the shaft. Its pretty close to your leg too.

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
what about runing it off the drive chain? i know it wouldnt get full time power, but on a stretch bike like mine i think i could pull it off, and get it to work fine.....any ideas?

Back