Best battery for keeping Elec Start?

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Battery that came on my 77xs took a shit, dead cell. Im most likley going to keep elec start on the bike. Ide rather not run one the you have to fill with acid and all that bs and have the vent tube, or do I have to run that kind of battery??? thanks

I put a battery from Motovan in mine and have had great success with it. Most bike shops have access to other catalogs with these available.

Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS

Attachments

• XS650 Battery.jpg
    XS650 Battery.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 599
I have a very small lightweight Shorai Battery in my build. Haven't had any issues with it so far. My buddy liked how small it was and is using the same one in his Ninja without issues either. Here is an image with a business card to show the size.

IMG_0898_zps07a423f1.jpg

The battery is a Lithium Ion and totally sealed. It can be mounted in any direction without leaking, as there is no acid.

I just picked the smallest one available due to the minimal space I had left during my build. But they do come in many sizes. In my picture above I used the business card in front as a size reference so you can see just how small it is.

If you're kepping the electric start, you're going to need at least 12 amps, 14 even better. The one in the pick above is only 7 amps. 7 amps is fne if you loose the electric start.

Posted via Mobile

Cranks and starts every time. No problems so far. Same with the Ninja.

You have elec start? I have a 77 with the point system BS on it, got a 120cold crank battery and cant get it to fire... Not sure what the problem is.. Its a fairly small battery.

Heres the specs on the new battery I got.
Part Number: ETX9
Weight: 7.1 lbs
Warranty: 3 MO
AGM
12 Volt
8 Ah
.8 Amp
Application: Power Sports
BCI Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 120
BCI Cold Cranking Amps Value: Tested to BCI Standard
Battery Height: 107 mm - 4 3/16 in
Battery Length: 150 mm - 5 7/8 in
Battery Width: 87 mm - 3 7/16 in
Core Charge Applicable: Yes
Positive Terminal Side: Left
Power Sport Battery Type: BTX9-BS
Voltage: 12

Last edited:
Lithium-ion battery is one of the most in-demand and best batteries for electric cars. However, new research into the lithium-ion batteries used in electric and hybrid vehicles may produce a battery that yields an extended range for the motorist, as well as eliminating the fire risks associated with the batteries presently being used. The secret, says the report, is in trading out the liquid electrolytes for a progres for lithium-ion basive solid form. Resource for this article: Improving electrolytes for lithium-ion batteries.

Just remember there is no substitute for a good tune-up.

Clean points, proper idle and advance timing, working automatic advance, properly set valves, tight cam chain, carbs in sync and compression test of 125+ psi all makes for an easy starting engine.

Any battery will suffer if asked to crank over a bike that is not maintained.

Bikes that start quickly on the kick start, do so even quicker on the electric.

Then you can experiment with smaller batteries, because they have less work to do.

The battery I listed above is sealed after filling and doesn't require a overflow drain, but I believe must be upright when installed.

There are many good batteries out there.
The cheapest are the standard battery with acid and the drain tube.
Next are there are sealed batteries with out the drain tube but still have acid.
Next up are the AGM or absorbed glass mat batteries. These have acid but it is absorbed in a fiberglass mat.
Most of these are about the same size as stock. both physically and electrically.
Then you can go with lithium ion batteries. These are very small in size but can have great electrical capacity.
My Ballistic 8 cell is 4.5 inches long, 2.5 wide and 4.25 high. About 1/3 the size yet it has a 15 amp rating with 275 cca's. It weighs 1.7 lbs
Shorai makes a similar battery at about the same price. I got mine off Ebay, $135.
Starts my 750 kitted engine just fine.
Upgrading the battery cable to a 6ga cable will help too. I even ran one cable from battery negative to one of the starter mount bolts.
Leo

Well, seeings how we are back to this thread, give us an update on that battery..pros/cons?
Also (relative) I want to make sure that everybody knows about Batterymart. Ive been getting my batteries from them for several years now. :thumbsup:

Btw I bought the smallest and cheapest SSB Ultalite lithium battery for $70 AUD for my last project and it cranks like it was on fire!

Lithium batteries deliver their current instantly at high discharge rates. Hence the fire risk in that particular USA aircraft.....

If you try a lithium at 150cca you will find it will beat a 14ah lead acid hands down at 15% of the weight and the ability to mount at any angle.

G'Day Biggles, are you still running the Li battery in your XS. I'm looking for a new one and I'm trying to downsize now that I have a PMA charging system and a Pamco ignition. I'm just not sure on the size of the battery now required.

Back